There are good points for keeping the Scouts as Webelos until they graduate from 5th grade and there are also good points for crossing over earlier in the year.

From a Cubmasters viewpoint I like having the older Scouts to act as mentors (spelling?) for the younger Cub Scouts. The extra month or two after Blue and Gold and the Pinewood Derby is one where we like to have the Webelos team up with Tigers, Wolves and Bears to help with their rank requirements and to have team competitions in events like scavenger hunts.

From an ASM point of view the same time helps get the boys ready for Summercamp and keeps them highly motivated.

We've experiented with having some joint Boy Scout/Cub Scout Meetings so that the young Scouts see the "neat" stuff the Boy Scouts do. In the end isn't the decision when to Crossover dependent on each Scout?

I guess it would be an individual scouts choice but I have always seen it treated as a pack decision with very little, if any, input from the troop. Usually packs contact me and tell me when they are crossing over. It's not a problem as allmost all of them crossover in February. Really I'll take boys any 'ole time but it sure is nice to know in advance.

Having accepted the job of Webelos Transition Chair for my district this has become a sore spot for me. If boys are crossing over anywhere from February thru September traking those who don't cross is almost imposible unless each Pack sends a list to the DE. The Webelos program was shifted to an 18 month approach in 1989. The Webelos leader Handbook has several Den Meeting Plans all targeting Feb/March for crossover. Having three or four months to introduce the new boys to the Boy Scout concept and prepare them for Summer Camp was a large intent in changing from a 24 month approach. Statistically boys that attend Summer Camp within a few months of joining the troop stay in Scouting longer. Yes I read all the posts about numbers and retention in the FCFY threads but this is Nationals song. I personnally agree but don't have verifiable data to support this opinion. I just wish the Webelos Leaders and the Scoutmasters would give the 18 month program a chance.