Den meetings on a dime

Since everyone now knows that Most of my den funds come from me I thought I would start a thread with some of the more thrifty den meeting ideas I could find (these are actual meeting projects from my Tiger year).

1. Don't over look Homedepot and Lowes. They have kids workshops that you can attend as a den or if you ask nicely they will give you the left over projects to make at your meeting. Lowes also supplied the aprons AND safety glasses for the boys to keep. Lowes also supplied a project for Day camp on very short notice when our BB Gun and Archery instructor decided not to show. They even loaned us the hammers and the kit was a "Safe Meeting Place Placard" so it was very appropriate.

2. Walgreens and CVS will donate all the used film canisters you could want. These are perfect for making paper rockets which are fueled by water and alkaseltser (sp). Nice PoP, plenty of fizz.

3. Marine reserve center. We visited the training center and to our joy the CO had assigned us our very own Sargent and Corporal to make sure we had everything we needed and got to see everything. The boys loved the obstacle course and the vehicles but were just thrilled with the weapons (which they got to hold unloaded of course). The marines even had a field doc do an exhibition which we used as some quick first aid training and did an anti drug talk as well. What more could you ask for? Fantastic trip. We will be going back.

We also went fishing, hiking, and toured some historic houses in the mountains. The Wildlife REsources Agent gave a free talk about the fishing rules and regulations and stayed to help the boys catch some fish. They earned a belt loop for this. (I had to supply all the poles, borrowed from every one I knew) The bait was free, all you had to do was look.

Anyone want to add some more Ideas? I could use some for this year.

Cajun

I never throw away anything. We had some empty cans (like baby formula comes in) at work and I told everyone to save them for me. They asked why, I told them "I'm the mother of 4 and den leader of 8, I can always find some use for them!"

Cajun, you make me wish we had those kind of stores in our town. :( But alas we only have Wal-Mart, and they don't even have film developing in house.

Carol

Home Depot and Lowes are great. I even have some kits left over that I put in my Cub stash. That way if I ever need a last min. fill in I can just pull out the stash and see how much we can do. I have also requested (and received) donated scrapbook items and stickers for my Tiger Cubs Scrapbook project. IMO it never hurts to ask and if I get told no, well I have heard it before and will hear it again so it doesn't hurt my feelings at all.

Cajun

Home building sites are great resources for scraps --especially milled wood, but plenty of other items like metals, paper, wiring and plastics, etc. It's also a GREAT resource for finding individuals (mostly guys) who have the skills, talents, materials and tools to be of assistance in many ways.

If they're strangers, there are obvious safety concerns to be conscious of, and you should ask for permission to invade their private property dumpsters. But, I've had guys quit work early to spend a half hour helping me safely sift through the stuff and make decisions -- they even start giving you ideas for projects!!! On occasion, you'll make a Scouting connection that will bring good things and good feelings to both of you.

jd