I just have triplets. We have identicle twin boys (Wrecking Crew)and the great princess of all princesses, Emily the Great. Super twins I am sure is a way of saying more than two. Triplets, quads, quints. Yahoo!!!

Mine are Tigers, but I am the Sea Scout Skipper. We're a Rifle Team that Sails!!! I take my kids with the Sea Scouts a lot.

Two Sailing trips ago, the big boys spotted a beach full of girl scouts in beach wear, they had to go for a walk as soon as we got back to our camp.....I sent my guys with them.........MR. SKIPPER they whined, I said they're cute, girls like cute.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Tiger Cubs. On a slightly off topic ...

I STRONGLY recommend that your adult partners take turns running each month's program. Lay out the year's monthly activities (using the - can't remember the name - monthly Cub Scout Activity book - its yellow this year) and have each parent sign up for one or two months. For that month they will need to run the den meetings and arrange/lead the Go See It. Make sure they understand that they need to meet the achievements per the book.

Your job is to pester them to make sure they are doing the prep work and that they will be there. Please don't make the mistake of stepping in for them after they call you saying "something came up". If you do the work all year, you'll burn out after the first year.

I did this my 1st year as Tiger Cub Den Leader and it worked great. I think the parents really enjoyed it. In my Den's Wolf year I tried to do most of it myself and really burned out. Last year - during Bear - I went back to sharing the months amoung parents. They welcomed it and it helped me greatly. This year they are in Webelos 1, and we are doing the same thing. It really works.

Tiger Dens, like other dens, require den leaders. Whether they are partners of scouts in the den or not does not matter. But the Den needs two designated, trained, adult leaders. You can still rotate the program around as Kenk suggests but you must still have two designated, trained leaders to guide and organize them.

Woooo, hold on here a second. A triple birth with a set of identical twins AND another faternal sibling. The odds of that have to be astronomical!

I'm a twin, with a faternal brother, but we look identical. I have great ahhhhh...empathy for both you and your wife. My Mom always said that two was OK because she had two arms........

We new we were having twin boys for five months, then went to Chicago to Rush Pres St. Lukes, where they have a modern ultra sound machine and the doc says, here is twin A, here is twin B, here is twin A, here is twin B, here is, here is, he was silent for what seemed like 20 minutes, and said "twin C". My stunned wife, said "SHUT UP" I said "cool". She doesn't want to be in Brownies.....she wants to be a Tiger too. She's in ballet with her cousin, she'll get over it. Plus, she doesn't care for the smell of dad's feet in the tent, no sir, not one bit.

Hey, fotoscout -- FYI the 2 identical/1 fraternal is the most common combo of spontaneous (non-fertility) triplets!!

Trailpounder -- how do I know this??? b/c I have a set of my own, BBG, but they are only 3 (next month)

Coincidentally I will be a Tiger Partner myself this year. I have 3 older boys, 13, 11 and 6. Or in Scout lingo: Star, Webelos 2, and Tiger!

To answer the OP, if you end up with parents who don't want to stay, well then the boy doesn't get to stay. Sad but true, in Tigers the adult is not an option.

When #2 was a Tiger, and I was put on bed rest with the triplets, one of the other parents offered to take mine to a function. Both parents went so my son had an adult all to himself.

Trailpounder I agree with you - as POM's we are uniquely qualified to handle ANYTHING we get right??!! LOL ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, at the round-up, my high-speed, low-drag Co-Den Leader told all the parents that Tigers were to have an adult partner, no exception, and not our rule, but we're enforcing it. lo-and-behold, one of the Mom's comes and starts to leave. My other Den-Leader said I looked like a deer caught in head lights. She told the mom that Adult partners were mandatory, and they were told that at round up. She sent the boy home with his mom. I almost hurled at the idea of sending the kid home. That's just not my way. Mrs. Co-Den Leader called the mom later and tried to work out a solution and offered up her husband to sub as an adult partner when they couldn't make it, the woman started getting pissy after all of our give and give. Now, I'm thinking of some of the horror stories I've read in this forum about gnarling parents and probaly am glad we won't be dealing with her in the future.

Went well, except for the gnarly one.

C'mon Tigers give me a growl....GRRRRRRRRROWL

• 2 weeks later...

I had one of those at our first meeting too...he was dropped off and I did not notice till halfway through the meeting. Another parent had noticed and had stepped in with him so to me it looked as if he had a partner there. I did notice and spoke to the dad when he got there. I know these particular parents (at least the mom who dropped him off) had been informed of the partner requirement. The dad got very snippy (well, he may not have known) no matter how apologetic I was... wonder if we will see him back.

I did tell one parent this week thatshe could not send her boy with another boy and his partner. They had extenuating circumstances that made me feel sorry for them, but I do not want to set a precedent. I think I did the right thing but the parents do not.

If we would have bet paychecks, I'd be eating beans and rice all month, cause the next Tiger Thursday, the dad shows up with junior, in uniform.

We had 10, lost one, picked one up, for a 10 Tiger Den. I heard all the wise advice loud and clear, about den size, but none of the adults would step up.

I did like the fact that of the 10 we had three couples present. We built our Soap Box Racer and are itching to get it screaming down the hill tomorrow night.

So, if I have the whole brigade of Tiger Cubs, I made it clear that we are in full blue uniform. Seven of the 10 are complete already. I mentioned that the trousers are the same price as a Pizza Hut pizza. I also mentioned to the adults that if they're concerned with the price, we could use some popcorn money....so Sell Sell Sell.

LOL, and I found when my agenda runs fast, with a 10 Tiger jungle......Relay Races are just the ticket!!! Did I say Ticket? I better get that pan in the fire too.

Tigers give me a growl....Grrrrrrrrr

My grandson's Tiger Den has 8 boys in it. There are 4 with single parents. We began in August and have had no problems with the adult partners remaining throughout the Den and Pack meetings. I was out for one meeting due to surgery, but my son(the uncle) stood in for me at the meeting. He took his girlfriend and she spent time working with the boys also. There are usually two boys with both parents at the meetings and the rest have one partner each. They range in age from 7 as the oldest to the youngest being 5 (my grandson, who is in first grade). This age difference would be hard but usually my grandson is the one to read activities and to lead the group. He is also about 5 inches taller (4 1/2 ft tall) than the rest. They are working on the activities and belt loops at the same time, and have homework after each meeting. There is only one family that is falling a little behind. Everyone else is excited about doing so much in so little time. We even had a display for the Pack meeting on service projects and plan to do a display at each meeting showing what we've done that month. We're recycling cans and donating the money to the local animal shelter as an on-going service project. Just wait until we become Webelos! Think of the real projects we can do.

The homework these Tigers do they really enjoy. The family requirements for the Tiger badge is homework. Other homework has consisted of keeping a chart of chores they do for one week, saving cans for recycling and reading a book to a parent. After 15 years working with Cubs, Scouts and Scouters I know better than to push anyone. Only meeting twice a month, it helps these Tigers remember Scouting by doing something in between the meetings. They really look forward to it. The homework that the Tigers are behind on is the family activities. Not much we can do about that. We remind the partners that the Tiger can not earn the badge until all 15 parts are completed. The family section is up to them.