Being a brand spanking new Tiger Den Leader, I'm expecting 8-10 1st graders, but I'm also expecting 4-5 parents to stay and participate. What is you experience with parents who can't or won't stay as the adult partner? I already know what I'm going to do, but I'd like to hear your opinions and experiences.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First TP what you have there are 2 dens not one. By the time you add adult partners you have 20 people and not many people are going to have a room in their home for that many people to meet. By keeping the den limited to 5 boys and their adult partners you not ony have a more comfortable managable den but room to grow when some boys join next year who skipped the Tiger year.

Second, they have no choice but to be there. Attendance by the adult partner with the tiger is mandatory not optional.

Bob's right about the size, but it's often hard to get one leader out of every 5 or 6. IMHO, the ideal size is 6-8. We usually start our Tiger's out with 8-10, because you normally lose 1 or 2 in the first month or so. Nothing to do with the quality of the program, just a matter of priorities. I find the reason boils down to one of 3 things (in this order): (1) Mom/Dad find out that they have to attend, not just drop him off, (2) they start thinking about how it's going to conflict with the 14 sports teams they've signed him up for, or (3) they find out that it's not the same as Boy Scouts, and that they don't go camping every month (okay, this is usually dad that comes to this realization).

Nevertheless, our group of 8-10 ends up being 6-8 within a few meetings. And that works out just swell.

As everyone else said, Parents are mandatory!!!!!!! Actually, an adult partner is mandatory, it doesn't have to be the parent, but it must be someone 21 or older.

As for the size of your den, if would be nice if you can keep it to 5-8 boys. But don't discount the fact that there simply may not be anyone else that steps up as the Den Leader. You may get the whole kit and kabuddle.

Not parent, but adult partner. An adult sibling, aunt, grandpa, Big Brother, etc. Any of that will suffice.

But to answer your question. Nope. Can't. No way. Not for Tigers. They have to have an adult partner. And that doesn't mean sending them with another Tiger's parent.

Now, in the case of multiples, such as yours, I believe it is allowed for the siblings to "share" their adult partner.

The BSA requires Tiger Cubs to have an adult partner present at all activities. It is not a matter of if you let them. Nuff said?

Remember that 50% (or more) of the reason that Tigers was begun was to get more adults introduced to being scouting volunteers. If you pull 5 adults into a group and use some of the group dynamics info you are learning at WB, a group leader (or two) will rise from the fold. Give them the information and resources they need to succeed, encourage them as they do little steps correctly and soon they will walk on their own.

One reason that large dens quickly become small dens is that the boys are overcrowded and are not comfortable at the meetings. A few leave the setting becomes more comfortable and the others stay. Believe me five tigers are plenty. :)

There's a lot of slug parents out there. They have to get an A for effort for for let's say getting those new Tigers to the right location.....if we send them away because their parents are slugs, we lose the kids forever.

So, do the parents get onboard when threatened or do you send the young Tiger home crying?

At Roundup, you have to make it very clear. I use the famous line, BSA doesn't stand for "Baby Sitters of America". As BW said, this is a chance to introduce parents to the program. After Tigers, they are free to "dump and run", if you allow them to. But for Tigers, you don't have a choice. If you do, you are breaking a very clear BSA rule (not one of those vague ones we often complain about).

Make it clear and the issue becomes theirs, not yours. I've had parents drop out, only to come back the next year and try again.

BW - I don't disagree regarding the size. The funny (but sad) thing is that I would estimate that we've had a boy signup and pay for everything at roundup and never make it to the first meeting. I would estimate that this has happened 4 or 5 times over the past 7 years. It's amazing that parents will come, pay dues, buy the books, uniform, etc. and then change their mind within two weeks. Obviously, it's people that have more money than time.

As a dad of triplets, super twins

You have triplets?!?! and twins?!?! are you saying that the triplets are super twins? or do you really have twins and triplets? I thought you where also involved in Venturing.

I have always let them know up front at signup that the Tiger and their adult partner will be "joined at the hip" for ALL scouting activites during their Tiger year. I have never had the problem of "drop & run" at any of my Tiger meetings during my 6 year tenure as Tiger Leader. Once in a very great while one of my Tiger parents will bring along one of the other boys if a scheduling problem crops up unexpectedly for the partner and the boy does not want to miss the meeting.