leaders who don't want to help.

But the point is, FS, that there is nothing that prevents a Den Leader from pulling double duty as popcorn chairman or heading up the Blue & Gold. That's something I've had to work at to eliminate in my pack. It's an easy temptation to keep piling work onto those who are willing to do it. It is much more effort on the pack leadership to recruit other less active parents to do these jobs.

P330, you and your pack need to step back and evaluate it's entire program. It sounds like a one person show. Your comment about posting sign up sheets, for example. In the first place, recruiting volunteers to staff outings isn't your job. Secondly, sign up sheets are a lousey way of recruiting volunteers.

Carrying the whole pack on your shoulder seems like a good and noble thing. And in the short term it is. But in the long term you are hurting the pack by not developing a leadership team. In the narrow view you are kicking and screaming and doing all you can to get these other deadbeats involved. But at the same time, by carrying the whole program yourself, you are making it possible for them to sit back and do nothing.

A little tough love is in order. You and your committee chairman need to sit down and review the official job descriptions in the leaders' book. You need to explain what a CM does and does not do -- and stick to it. They want to go camping this fall? Fine, they should tell you when and where. You can be responsible for organizing the camp fire. The rest is up to the committee.

And by the way, they need to find an assistant CM for the next three months or so.

I understand how the CC/CM/etc. is suppost to work but hasn't so far. Twocubdad you are right about me doing it all. It sounds like everyone is saying to get people(Committee) to commit to one job like blue & gold and then get parents to sign up under them. I'm ready to turn the show over to my CR to handle. He has offered to sit down with parents,DL,and the CC to talk about who is to do what. I know that this is one meeting I need to sitting home and putting my feet up for:) My CR gets back from vacation on Monday and I will let the forum know what the next plan is. Thanks

In a perfect world there wouldn't be a need for Den Leaders to be part of the committee. However, regardless of how National feels about it, there are times that your den leaders are your committee. Our pack has 6 boys, 2 Web II's, 3 Web I's and 1 Tiger. Every single parent is registered as something. Our CC doesn't even have a boy in the Pack any longer. This means there is no seperate "parent committee" from the den leaders for us. We make due as best we can and continue on.

Some are of the opinion that it is better to keep a struggling, small unit on the books, rather than to strengthen an existing unit by combining resources. When the quest to "make your numbers" takes precedence over quality programs, I have to shake my head in amazement.

I am the Cubmaster in my pack and have 5 registered den leaders. Me and the Den Leaders do most of the planning, organizing and running of the pack. It is just hard to find volunteers.

In response to Sctldr I just say that not all units run by a small group of people, are in for just the numbers. I have to say I run a quality program and we are having fun while we do it.

CMF

P330,

You really need to get your committee involved. Our pack is over 35 years old and has gone through many ups and downs over the years. Right now we are on an up (looks like the size of the pack will double this year!). At our Roundup we really stress the importance of "family oriented" and spending quality time with their son. We have a list of the years activities (that the committee put together from our Great Day of Planning), which we ask the parents to sign up on as a committee member for an activity.

Your Scouting energy will be contagious. Talk about volunteers and volunteering every chance you get. We had a table at the local elementary schools meet the teacher day and after talking with the parents, had 7 adults who told me they wanted to be leaders.

The point is your energy for scouting is awesome, but make the CR, CC and other pack leaders do their jobs. Teach them, give them the tools, encourage them, reward them but let them- do it. If they don't get the your DE involved. You have the greatest job in the Pack. You get to wind up the boys and then send them home!

/agree with CMF.

Our pack is small but in no way are we in it "just for numbers". This will be our second consecutive summer of earning National Summertime Pack Award, something this pack had never done in the past. We still went to camp as a Pack and the boys still brought in more food (total item number) than our neighboring, larger town with a bigger Pack. Pack size isn't what makes the program, the people (boys and adults) are. This is the same town that rejected sending their 6-8th graders to the neighboring town with their brand new, state of the art Middle school. We like to keep things in our little town.

Bravo!

Under every number (unit number) there is an arm. That arm is warmed from the blood of a heart and driven by a human brain.

It's important to grow packs and to grow new packs in new areas.

Unc.