Webelos Menu

That's a tough question because as i get older I've become more and more like the old folks I remember as a kid. WE desperately want the kids to eat, therefor we desperately want to cook something that they will eat without question. It's fine to say, "If the kids hungry enough he'll eat", but in the real world I do feel bad if the kid goes to bed with only a PB&J sandwich that he brought from home.

Having said that, why don't you look at the cooking method instead of the food. For example cook your meal in a box oven(s). The kids can team up and make the ovens, eat hot dogs and still have a great time.

Remember that for most of the Webelos this will be the first time they are responsible for making their own food. Most of their other camping experiences, if your Pack does Pack camping, has been with their families along and adults doing most of the work.

Your best bet is to keep it simple, especially if you have any algeries or dietiary needs in your group. How will you be doing the cooking? Over an open fire, on a camp stove, on a homemade stove (box, buddy burner, etc) or in dutch ovens? Ask the boys for ideas. It is their campout.

You also don't want to be spending your entire evening cooking dinner. You could do a simple meal with a special dessert like bannana boats or a dutch oven cobbler.

Let's see here... Fire + Scouts + Food = FUN

Why not a Dutch Oven dinner? Talk to most Boy Scout Troops and find out if they will show you how! Lasagna, or fried chicken & potatoes, or a stew, or ... If you can make it in an oven at home guess what?

OK so you don't want to do that... Why not bring a small foldable grill? You are now open to hamburgers, BBQ whatever (chicken, roast, steaks, shish-ka-bobs) Let the guys cook, they can if you'll let them. Just watch them to ensure they cook it long enough.

In my experiences with Boy Scouts, pancakes for breakfast are hard to mess up. That is as long as you don't forget the turner, and then if you do there is my all time favorite (scrampled pancake batter) Yummy!!! eeewwwww

Have fun!

If you're cooking over an open fire, why not try shishkebabs? You could always precut the meat (beef, sausage, pork, or chicken) and veggies and have them ready in ziploc bags. The boys can assemble their own based on their preferences, so they are participating in the meal preparation.

If not cooking using an open fire, try a basic stew (once again, you can precut the ingredients if you are so inclined) or a hamburger dish, because these don't really require a lot of skill.

Grilled / Toasted sandwiches & soup work well for us. I've actually convinced some to try my grilled peanut butter & jelly. (At that point the Grilled cheese looks very good to some of them!) A square four slice frying pan doesn't take up much room.

Warning on the soup... Dried "Instant" Soups can take 10 or 20 minutes to soften the noodles or veggies. (& no I don't like mine crunchy!) Noodles Ramen are a good solution, but we've had to break the Parents from the big, single serving cup packaging in the interest of conservation.

Yeah I'll fight that battle.

Enjoy!

Bob

Thanks for the replies.

I think we might try shish kabobs - so any hints on that would be helpful now. Can you get potatoes done when the meat is done on kabobs?

Also, has anyone cooked an egg in paper bag? Seems like I saw that one somewhere a time ago but can't find it now.

YIS

Ronvo

I've done the eggs in a bag thing. Use good Zip Lock bags and try to not let the bag contact the side of the pot! Remember that you can crack the eggs right into the bag and scramble them by kneading the bag.

The boys can put almost anything that is pre cooked into the bag with the eggs: ham, onions, mushrooms.....etc. Things like sausage and bacon won't cook in the bag with the eggs, so you may want to pre cook those things at home and allow the boys to add them just before cooking.

As for the potatoes, use canned potatoes. The small white ones, they are already cooked and should be about the right size.

I've never done potatoes on my shishkebabs, so I don't know. Try onions, bell pepper slices, broccoli, cauliflower (yeah, like a Webelos is going to eat THAT, right?), cherry tomatoes, pineapple, even regular apple - you might be pleasantly surprised. You can use pork (especially with apple), chicken, beef, shrimp, polish sausage, lamb, tofu. Yep, tofu, especially if there are any boys from a culture that doesn't eat meat. Get the firm kind. Really, you are limited in what you put on them by two things: what's available in the store, and what the boys will eat!

For the adults, try adding peanut-butter sauce made with soy sauce and a bit of garlic and onion powders, and you have Sate! Especially good to hide the taste of tofu!

Bug

FOG

While I personally really enjoy foil packs - for some reason our boys have never taken to them - after four years even. I think it is because they much prefer sticking hotdogs on a stick and being able to hold them in the fire!

Boil in bag eggs - never heard of that one but will try it out this weekend. Thanks Scouters!

ronvo

If you are trying to satisfy the requirement that every boy cook a meal outdoors, you are limited as to what what can reasonably be done individually. That's the great thing about the foil dinners. You can spice them up by increasing the choice of ingredients. If you have enough boys to make it economical, offer them a choice of meats, veggies, sauces and pasta to put in their packet -- it almost becomes a Mongolian barbecue.

A key to sucessful foil dinners (we still call them hobo dinners, it that PC?) is to pre-cook many of the ingredients so that everything comes out evenly. Nothing worse than half the dinner scorched and the other half raw. This is especially true with chicken and similar foods due to food safety concerns.