Webelos ceremony

A couple years ago we did a webelos badge ceremony where the kid AND the parent were face painted, I found the kid paint ceremony but I cannot find the kid AND parent face painted ceremony. Can anyone help? We weill be doing this ceremony on a pack campout this weekend. TIA

Craig

Can't say that I have ever seen it.

However, you might want to be careful that you are not upsetting any Native Americans with such a ceremony.

Just a thought.

Welcome to the forums.

Eamonn.

I understand what a Hoot is. But have no idea what YGBKM might mean?

Y: Might mean why

GB: I know that one - Great Britain.

K: kiss ?

M: Half a small candy?

Why Great Britain kisses small candy?

Oh dear what has Prince Charles been up to now?

Thank You.

Sad to say I'm not kidding.

Our Lodge no longer paints faces.

While I in no way claim to know much about Native American, I have been led to believe that their use of paint was symbolic of their and in their religion.

I don't think that this is the message that we need to pass on these young Scouts.

I know that I would be upset if people started messing around with the trappings of my religion.

But I'm happy that Prince Charles isn't in hot water.

Eamonn.

• 2 weeks later...

No EagleInKy, Eamonn is correct, Why Great Britain kisses small candy, its a type of remark similar to.... hmmm, well it kinda means, You gotta be kidding me.... sorta

Craig

If Craig is speaking of the ceremony that I remmember'It's

not a problem.The paint one, I remmember is for dens moving to next level.One yellow stripe for tiger to wolf ,a yellow and a blue to bear etc.with something said about each level.

Craig I realise from the date on initial entry it's late for

this year but if you still want it I can see if I can find it

for you.I couldn't find it in my files but I think I can get it

from someone I worked Pow Wows with.

As far as the Native american situation is concerned,the cubscout thing is not a problem.

Eamonn is right that there can be a problem if an OA ceremonies team were to use face paint.The OA ceremonilists are wearing Regalia that is representative of different Native Tribes and if they were to include items of religous symbolism

it would have more impact than the Cub leader putting a line of paint to symbolise cub ranks.

They could possibly upset someone.

Another thing the OA is not allowed to mimic Native religous ceremonies.

Sheesh! Why do we worry about upsetting Indians? Africans paint their faces. Picts painted their entire bodies. Football fans paint their faces and bodies. I'd be more worried about upsetting a group of Packers fans than a bunch of Indians.

Paint on.

Thanks for the replies. we had a good ceremony, even thought I couldnt find the one I wanted to use. As for upsetting certain groups or individuals. If someone feels the need to be offended, I can offer that in no way do we as leaders try to offend anyone, its all about the kids having a good time. We even did a bobcat ceremony, and despite what bsa corperate says, we flipped the boys upside down. But only after explaining to the parents what we were gonna do, and if they objected, we wouldnt have done it. Luckily everyone loved the ceremonies except one packer fan in a nearby camp site.

Craig