I have a question, recently I was asked to be on the District Advancement Committee. I officiated my first Eagle Scout Board of Review a few months back. Recently I was informed the troop was disappointed in my appearance. That I was wearing a "troop" uniform, and not one that had a district committee patch on it. How big a faux pas is this? Should I get a new shirt or am I over reacting?

I'm coming up on my 8th Eagle BOR and every single District Advancement Chair that I have met (4) wore a uniform with his Troop numbers on it and the district committee patch. I thought it was odd they wore both but I wasn't offended or anything.

I would think that you ought to have a uniform to represent whatever capacity you fill. Troop for Troop, District for District. Silver loops and all.

Seeing as that was your first BOR they ought to give you a little slack.

I once served as District Advancement Chairman, Scoutmaster, and on the Council Training Committee all at the same time. I was also on Woodbadge staff, and was supposedly required to have a uniform for each position......NOT. I did hve the SM (troop)uniform, and didn't want to change all the patches, so I bought one more outfit to use for Woodbadge training. But, for the district and council positions, I chose to simply wear jacket and tie, or suit and tie, depending on the occasion. Most folks usually wanted to know why I was "all dressed up". No one ever asked where my council or district uniform was. Had they asked, I would have told them that I was in the process of collecting funds to afford those uniforms.....would they like to donate?

I like the velcro idea. I now have 3 uniforms, but many times I will show even at council meetings right from work. I do make an special effort to be in uniform when scouts are at the meeting. Most scouters are happy you are there and willing to help.

The districts I've worked with do not have a problem with troop numbers on uniforms for district functions. Indeed, I believe it enhances the event, whatever it is. It shows Scouting is a bigger thing than just one troop. Anyone can put on a Scout uniform, but when you see that someone from another troop has come to see you through your Eagle BOR, it can have a special effect.

OGE,

If that's the only thing they could come up with to criticize, I'd say you did a terrific job! I wouldn't worry about it too much. Maybe ask one of the other committee members what the common practice is. I have seen people with the velcro, too.

We had a guy in our district that had kakhi colored velcro on his sleeve. It was such a perfect color match to the uniform that I think it must have been official Scout issue. A phone call to North Carolina might be worth while. Maybe your detractors would make the call for you?

I have used the velcro on my sons' uniforms. It works nicely. You can get the kakhi colored velcro at about any store that sells velcro. I bought ours in the small size but you can also buy it in longer strips and cut to size. Put the soft velcro on the uniform and the rough velcor on the patch.

OldGrayEagle,

I own several uniforms for different functions, but that is my choice. The practice I've always seen used was you wear the uniform for the position of your primary registration. If you are a Scoutmaster and hold duel registration for a District or Council position you wear your Scoutmaster uniform, that's your primary job. Many Councils however want you to use your highest position as your primary registration. (That numbers thing again, they want more District and Council registration) Expecting Scouters to own uniforms for every job they agree to do is foolish, you lose qualified people that aren't in a position to invest $70+ everytime they take on another "hour a week"

Mike Long,

I think Bob White will agree on this, wearing a district committee patch along with Troop numerals is incorrect.

I agree with LongHaul,

The Uniform should reflect a position in scouting that you are registered in , and that the uniform shirt designations should reflect only one position and branch of scouting. If you choose to have multiple shirts, fine. (I like using velcro for a lot of things, but as you have probably guessed I am not a big fan of using it on the uniform.)

As a District Commissioner and an Assist. Scoutmaster, I own a shirt for each. When I am funtioning as the ASM, or training unit leaders, I dress as an ASM. When I am commissioning I dress as a Commissioner.

Bob

featherswillfly:

I would bet there are many of us who would love to have some of those uniforms! We have a number of kids struggling to pay for scouting. We're always looking in the thrift shops but haven't found anything like you're getting.

I'd love to work out details with you to get some shirts for our scouts. My e-mail is mhursey@hotmail.com

Thanks.

Feathers,

Thanks for your offer, but I would rather see the uniforms go to scouts in need. I have a few shirts already. All still have my Naitonal Jamboree troop numerals on here. I guess it may be time to adapt one for the district and one for my home troop.

Thanks for all your comments. One thing I have learned on this forum is the depth of intensity some have for the program. I thought I was committed, but by some poster's standards, I am a mere hobbyist. I am glad I found this place.

I have worked on many district activities and committees, and never have I been aslked to change from my SM uniform with the Troop numerals. Being a little provincial, I like to show off my Troop numbers even while working district or council events. I can't hurt to advertise! The only time I changed numbers was as Jamboree SM.