I am getting discouraged and a little fed up with my pack. This is my first year as CC and we still do not have a CM yet. I see our pack as in danger. We are having fewer and fewer Scouts each year. Very few parents are interested in helping out, and those that are, seem so far to only be interested in telling me my ideas stink (can't come up with any of their own though). In 2 dens the adults are acting like such babies that they may not let their kids come back. I have no idea what to do about THAT situation. We tried to have a parent meeting with one den and the DE to work things out and only ONE parent showed up (it was at his house!). I took on this position to help the boys, and I really want to help the boys have a quality program, but I did not expect all this. Is it like this everywhere? Is there anything I can do? Someone told me to just let the pack fold then and go to another. That sounds tempting and certainly the easy way to go. I don't want to think it is hopeless, but I do not have the energy to deal with this. :(

I will say I really WANT to do all I can. I'm just not sure I can do enough.

Wings - Sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope things work out for you and your pack. Sometimes, folding and starting over is the only way. But, hopefully, you'll be able to pull it off without such drastic steps.

IMHO, the first step for you is to create the vision of what you want this pack to be. This vision, of course, should be in synch with the core values of the BSA. But, they can also expand beyond that. For example, do you see it being a part of your Charter Sponsor's Youth Ministry? Do you see it becoming a focal point of community support in your area? You can build a vision that challenges people to think of the pack as being more than just blue shirts and pinewood derbies.

Once you've got your vision set, you need to sell it. I find it first easier to sell it to key individuals in the pack, and then to the larger group as a whole. Selling your vision is important, because, if they don't buy in, you are back to the "fold and restart" idea. If they buy into the vision, then you proceed with building the team to accomplish it. Setting goals and measuring against them comes next.

You can turn a pack around. We did, and I am glad we stuck it out. It does take a lot of work. Good luck to you.

A sit-down with the CO is a good start. You'll want to find out where they are and what level of support you can expect.

The greatest task facing you is finding a good Cubmaster. Your CO and COR may or may not want to be involved in the process. A good partnership between the CM and CC is the basis of a successful pack, in my opinion.

How much time you want to spend trying to turn around your existing dens is a call you have to make. Bringing around a bunch of folks who have bad attitudes and wrong ideas can be daunting. Whatever happens with that bunch, I'd encourage you to get involved with the fall Roundup drive and make a real push to recruit new Scouts into your pack. Try to recruit a couple new Tiger and Wolf dens. Not only will an infusion of new, excited Scouts help turn around the pack, but their parents will be the leaders you will need to rebuild the pack leadership.

My last suggestion is for you to get involved beyond the pack level. Go to Roundtable. Get involved in Day Camp. Make friends with your DE and other Cub leaders in the area. Not only will you learn more about the program, but you'll also develop a local support system. You'll also find that there are numerous district-level activities you can take advantage of. Here there is something going on nearly every month you can involve your pack in without having to do all the planning and organizing yourself.

Good luck!

Just a small question...how did your Pack get chartered (or re-chartered) without a Unit Leader (CM)? Is someone fudging the paperwork? Have you called your District Commissioner and told him there's a problem?

Thanks all.

Answers:

The CM retired in May. He was still CM when we rechartered, and is still on the books as CM.

The DC and DE know we lack a CM and I discussed it with the DC recently.

The CO won't be any help. They only provide a meeting place, and as far as I know take no interest in the Pack other than that. I don't even know if we have a COR. It is a school and closed for the summer so I can't even talk to them.

This is the reason I asked in another post if the two Webelos dens could meet together. We have decided to wait and see how school night goes to decide for sure, but meanwhile invite them to our den's summer activities. This is because I am meeting so much resistance to the idea from the other Web 2 parents (I really can not see why).

I have contacted the DE and asked for a meeting. Do you think I should meet just with him or have the commmittee present?

It is a school and closed for the summer so I can't even talk to them.

I have a similar situation with my son's pack. Everyone identifies the pack as being the school's, but the fact of the matter is that it belongs to School Friends Of Scouting, a non-profit corporation that exists in response to the school district's non-discrimination policy. So, in your case, I'll bet the charter papers show your pack being chartered to some entity other than the school.

Now, to answer your question, I recommend the entire committee meet with the DE. It's important for the pack leadership to hear the same thing at the same time AND for the DE to get a read on the pack leadership as a whole. I would take it even a little further and invite all the den leaders AND whoever is on your charter as the COR and organization executive. Both those names, with their addresses and phone numbers, are on the charter.

But! The most important thing I have to say is this. Do not wait for someone to volunteer to be den leader, cubmaster, whatever. You will probably end up with people in these positions who just are not right for that job. Instead, follow the recommended BSA procedure: develop a list of prospects (the pool includes family members, school staff, community members), evaluate them, choose who you feel is the best qualified, meet with them (no phone calls!), tell them that they are the best candidate for the job, and ask them to serve the youth in your community. This system really works!

IIRC my Cub leader specific training, when there is a Cubmaster vacancy, the Committee Chair assumes the duties of the Program officer (Cubmaster) until you get a new one.

If that is still current, then roll up your sleeves and have fun!

• 1 month later...

Don't be discouraged, if you remember that it is for the boys then you will make it. 15 months ago I assumed the role of Cubmaster in Pack 450 and had only 2 other leaders to help me. Since it was for the boys I dove in head first. For 8 months I was not only the Cubmaster but also the Wolf den leader.

Once people saw the fun the boys were having, many boys who had not been seen in awhile, returned. I also insured that the local paper printed pictures of everything we did. I ensured that we did service projects along with our fun.

I now have 9 leaders and 5 committe members. I also signed up 11 Tiger Cubs during spring recruiting without much effort.

You must always remmeber it is for the boys and give the boys that are coming a great program. Everything else will take care of itself in time.

This of course is my story and yours probably differs in ways. All the advice given here is good. You must decide if you are willing to give it all.

CMF

eaglewings,

Your name implies strength when it is needed.

Cub Scouting is just having FUN. Look at the Program Helps.

Gather those people that will around you for one evening, for one hour to talk about Cub Scouting. Of course, these people should be adults because the Cubs need little convincing. Have some food and coffee and punch.

Let them know your intentions which is not (first )to have a Cub Pack but (first) to have the most enjoyable bang-up time that any group of kids and adults could have anywhere, anytime and do it for as little money as possible.

Let them know what the theme will be at the next Pack meeting and let them see some of your own handiwork. Prepare some costume or implements of fun that you yourself have constructed. Let them know that you are ready.

Now then, it is their decision to include you with your costume or to send you Packing. If they decide that Cub Scouting is FUN and they want to lend a hand by doing the second thing on the agenda (Cub Pack leaders) then it is a deal. You are there to be a part of the FUN and if there is no support, FUN can happen to another bunch some other place.

It is their decision. The ultimatum of FUN has been thrown down!

FB