writing to soldiers?

I was talking to friend who has a son serving in Iraq. He was telling how much his son appreciates letters from home. I ask him if our cub scouts could write letters to the soldiers and if he could send them with his next care package. Do you guys think that this is age appropriate for kids just becoming wolves?

A parent was telling that the kids at her sons school had done this and most of them got letters back. The kids were thrilled.

What do you guy think?

ABSOLUTELY! We've done soldier/sailor/Marine boxes at Christmas time for years. We always encourage our boys to include notes with their boxes and SASEs. Many of our boys receive really nice letters in return. Some even get military patches and other cool stuff back.

But the best thank you we ever got was this winter when a guy on special leave to the states drove three-hours each way to come to one of our den meetings to talk to the boys and hand deliver letters from the unit. That was way cool.

I think official policy is still to discourage the soldier boxes, but there are enough reservists in every community that you can hook up with an individual and make your own arrangements.