World Conservation Award (WCA)

Ok, I know that I have seen information on the WCA, regarding requirements for Tigers. There must be a readily available list of requirements for me to use for our Tigers. Can anyone please advise me of such a resource? Thanks.

I'm not aware of the award being offered to Tigers. It's not mentioned in the Tiger handbook and there is no space provided for it on the WCA application. As the requirements for the other levels are found in the respective handbooks, I would conclude it's not an option for Tigers.

TwoCub

I appreciate the response, and please forgive my potentially arrogant response, but I can't seem to accept that finality. If our Tigers can earn beltloops, provide community service, earn the "Leave No Trace Awareness Award", earn the "Emergency Preparedness Award"...etc, etc.

Then why, exactly, would there be no opportunity to earn the World Conservation Award? Curious.

Hey, you're not hurting my feelings one way or the other. I'm just calling it like I see it. But if you can't find any reference to a Tiger WCA and I can't find it and no one else has jumped into the conversation having found it.....

A Tiger WCA may be in the pipeline as part of the ongoing push to "fully integrate" Tigers into the Cub program. That's why I couched my first response the way I did. As soon as you make an iron-clad statement, someone whose neighbor mows the lawn for a maintence guy at national will come up with a rumor that the award is in the works.

That said, I think the best evidence there is working against a Tiger WCA any time in the near future is to look at the requirements for the older Scouts and then compare that to what's available in the Tiger program. WCA is a "stretch goal" for most boys. It's a big bite to complete all the requirements in the specified Achievements and Electives. Other than a handful of simple electives, there isn't much of a similar nature in the Tiger program.

Personally, unless they come up with some more difficult requirements from outside the Tiger handbook, I would not want to see a Tiger WCA. I'd rather see the boys earn it in a later year when the the requirements are a little meatier.

Besides all that, given that most Tigers are all completing first grade probably this week or next, why don't you have your boys work on their Wolf WCA?

TCD

I can understand your point and would concur that items available within the current Tiger book seem inadequate. I'm not so concerned about my current Tigers, as the year end is about here, but more so about our 2004-05 program. We are constantly looking for ways to improve or embellish our current practices. With the advent of "Good Turn for America" we have taken a more in-depth look at the capabilities of every rank of our scouts.

Just looking for ways for each of our scouts to participate on a level field and receive the acknowledgements they have earned.

Thanks again for the input. As always, this forum method has proven invaluable.

ATCprofesr

Since the WCA is not available to Tigers, consider the Conservation Good Turn award instead. It can be earned by conducting a pack or den conservation project.

Last fall, I organized our pack to harvest wild prairie grass seed for the USFWS in MN which they would then use to restore prairie. Our Webelos den did the project first in a remote area so they became 'experts'. Then, the entire pack was invited to do it in a more accessible area with the Webelos providing guidance. A great time! Everyone that participated received the Conservation Good Turn patch.

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/content/Award/Award-240.asp

http://www.scouting.org/factsheets/02-519.html