Non-Scouts on Cub Events?

I have planned our pack summertime activities. I was thinking that we could invite some non-scouts for something like a round-up, to show kids what fun cub scouts can be. Have anyone of you had problems with doing things like this? Should we inform council of our plans? What about the insurants, it wont cover non-scouts on scout events, will it?

Your insurance coverage extends to anyone that is being recruited to join scouts. Therefore, you are safe to invite them. If you are travelling, make sure you include the total number on your tour permit.

Your coverage will apply to those boys considering joining but not to siblings or others who are not the correct age. Even if you are not traveling as a unit or staying overnight you still need a tour permit. This is also an opportunity to recruit parents as volunteers in the pack, but make sure you have the necessary YPG-trained leader there for the outing and explain those rules to the new people.

It's a good point that KA6BSA points out. Only the parent(s) and CS aged boy are covered by your insurance.

It's Cub Scout event and of course families are welcome, but the nuance of insurance coverage is important. Here's the part where it gets confusing. Your event is being put on as a recruiting event so the visitors (parent and boy) are covered, not, female sibs or, older or younger male sibs.

On the other hand, a female sib attending Pack night would be covered because pack night is a family CS event, or so I'm told!

Maybe someone can give us the authoritative answer on this.

There are two types of insurance, BSA Liability coverage and Unit Accident Insurance. BSA Liability insurance covers the Charter Partner therefore the unit and the leaders if they accrue a liability due to the actions of Scouts and Scouters. If for example your little darlings decided to chop down a tree and it destroys a $100, 000 motor home or a participant is injured an you are sued for lost wages or pain and suffering and so on. This is one of the reasons for Guide to Safe Scouting it is to show that the BSA said you shouldnt do that and can reduce the BSA liability.

The other is an Accident Policy purchased by the unit. They are more than one out there and are not issued by the BSA and the BSA is not a party to it. You need to look at the one your unit holds. They generally pay the out of pocket expenses for any injury. The amount of your co-pay and deductible of the the personal medical insurance. They may also have lump sum payment for loss of a hand or an arm and so on. They pay the entire medical bill if there is no personal medical insurance.

The unit usually pays a set fee per youth and adult on their recharter. New boys and adults registered during the policy year are covered without any additional fee. It usually covers visitors looking to join the unit on an outing, and I think that means only the youth. I do know for sure that they do not cover unregistered parents or siblings.

This is based on the couple I have seen and had in my scouting career and I again I recommend you read the one issued to your unit.

NW Scouter, I am a founder of my troop and active in the committee... and I am sure my unit has not gone out and bought an Accident Policy. We always thought that if we followed the G2SS and BSA rules that we would not need any additional coverage paid for by our unit. Is the Accident Policy you refer to purchased by the unit from BSA (the $1 fee per boy?) or through a private insurance agent, or how do they generally get it? Is it something every unit needs? Thanks for the information.

In our council as courtesy they include in our recharter a enrollment form from an insurance company (for many years Mutual of Omaha, now a different one I cant remember the name). It cost so much per youth (different rate for cubs, scouts, venturers). Now for a few years the council had a blanket policy that you paid the council the money, but some units complained because their charter partner already had a policy covering them (in the case of LDS they were self insured). So check with your council on what is available in you area.

Having listened to my Council's professional CPA staff CFO at Commissioner's College ...

The requirement (in this part of flyover country) for a tour permit begins when the travel crosses a District boundary.

That said, the PROCESS of planning a trip using the Tour Permit method is always viable and valuable.

John

I don't understand that about crossing district boundarys. Here in San Diego all units must file a tour permit for any activity that is held at a location other than the normal meeting place. And then keep a copy of the paperwork for two years.

Each council does insurance differently. In our council we pay .80 per scout and adult for the year at recharter time. The council buys it for everyone even if you don't want it.

Like wise tour permits are done differently in each council. There is no hard and fast rule except for national tour permits.

So check with your DE/CE to see what they mandate locally.

There may be some local council variation in the tour permit approval process. A permit completed on-line and e-mailed may be acceptable one place, or an original completed in black in may be required elsewhere. In our council the woman behind the desk squeals like a stuck pig if you fail to submit the permit less than 3 working days before your event. It takes her that long to complete her approval process. The neighboring council approves them on the spot in two minutes or less.

The hard and fast rules are found in the Guide to Safe Scouting, and printed on the tour permit itself. Those rules are universal throughout the country.

My council has coverage that is supposed to take care of medical bills but I don't know if it is worth it unless you don't have any other insurance.

A few years ago on a camping trip, I wound up going to the hospital for minor injury. Nothing serious, just a few stitches. I used the council insurance and six months later I was still dealing with paperwork. If I had known what a hassle it was going to be, I would have simply used my regular insurance and paid the $25.