Adult LeaderTrouble

Hello,

We have been having a continuous problem with one of our cub pack "LEADERS". This person just keeps on disrupting our pack and is very rude. This person was once our Cubmaster who was removed from his post due to his behavior (this just happened 2 months ago). He seems to have a major problem with the Committee Chairperson. He just does not want to work with anyone. Everything must be his way or no way at all. Our committee chairperson has pulled him aside to speak with him and he started to make a scene at the meeting place using the "F" word and speaking loudly. The children did not need to hear this behavior. This was one reason he was removed from his CubMaster role. This was only a small problem with this person compared to the other ways he acted. However, he has since taken on the roll of Webelos leader. He continues to do just what he wishes - acting as if he is still running the pack, does not wear his uniform, does not talk with the other leaders/committee members without causing a seen, and is set on destroying the future of our pack. His behavior is really taking our pack "down". We have asked this person to please remove himself from our pack but he refuses to do so. He has sent out misleading notices to all the pack-not just the committee. He refuses to "grow up" as the council has put it. Our problem needs to get a resolve. Can anyone give us suggestions on how to properly remove this member from out pack? We have been told that council has tried to replace him and his boys into another pack, but all are refusing him becuase they see the damage he is doing to our organization. I am searching for some sort of "Adult Leader Guidelines" and "By-Laws" to cover us and to have this person removed. Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

Hi and Welcome to the forums.

Cub Scouts packs are part of some other organization. It might be a church, a VFW, or Some other Community organization. We call them the Chartered Partner or the Chartered Organization.

This organization is responsible for the selection of the Leaders in the Cub Scout Pack. All packs should have someone on their Pack Committee that acts as the go between from the pack to the chartered organization. He or she is the Chartered Organization Representative.

If there is someone who is acting the way this person is I would hope that the pack committee would hold a meeting with the Charter Rep. In attendance and make sure that he or she knows and understands the problem.

I would ask him or her to talk with the Head of the organization and send a letter informing the trouble maker that his services were no longer required.

While it would be a little out of the ordinary the Scout Executive from your Council does have the right to take away a persons membership for a good reason. I think anyone swearing in front of Cub Scouts might be a good reason. But that is up to the Scout Executive. I would go to the Chartered Organization.

Eamonn

I failed to mention in the first, we have gone to the chartered organization rep. He is the one who helped us remove our trouble maker from the cubmaster role. Now he is still causing trouble and we need to rid him completely. Council is working on a solution, but we cannot keep waiting. Any advice?

Eamonn's advice is still on target. The Chartered Organization Representative or the head of the CO is the one to solve the problem. It is a good idea to give your Scout professional a heads up as to what is going on as it will likely come across his or her desk at some point.

I don't really understand why under these circumstances they would remove someone as Cubmaster but let them become Webelos leader. This guy doesn't sound fit for any leadership role. The current problem should have been fairly predictable.

He needs to be removed from leadership entirely.

The Charter Organization Representative can do this.

The Institutional Head of the charter organization can do this.

The both have the responsibility to maintain proper leadership standards. This includes enforcing BSA policy and enforcing the policies of their organization. I would say the Scout Oath and the Scout Law could both be used as reasons if this guy demands an explanation for why he is being removed. "to obey the Scout Law", "help other people at all times", and "keep myself... morally straight"

from the Law:

trustworthy - people have trusted him to help developed the character of their kids

loyal - needs to work for the good of the group, not of himself

helpful - yelling and cursing is not helpful

friendly - nor is it friendly

courteous - doesn't sound real courteous either

kind - again, the yelling and cursing

obedient - he isn't in charge, it isn't his organization, needs to respect the rules and respect the decisions of the other leaders

cheerful

thrifty

brave

clean - foul language obviously isn't

reverent - if he happens to use the Lord's name in vain, that isn't reverent, he also seems to lack respect for others, and since we are all God's children, that would be a problem

I would be willing to guess this guy has issues of some sort. Usually people that have their act together don't use the "do it my way or else" approach. They also don't usually resort to screaming, yelling, and cursing. This guy probably has some sort of self esteem problem or something. I am no psychologist, but he sounds like he could use therapy or something along those lines.

The Charter Partner can remove him him from any Pack Leadership.

This one is harsh,you can have the charter partner, if they own the building your pack meets in, issue a no trespassing letter which bans him from the building. Then enforce it.

"However, he has since taken on the roll of Webelos leader."

I am afraid that is not possible. He was approved to be the Webelos Leader by the Pack Committee Chair adn the Charter Organization Representative.

The people who caused this problem are the only ones who can fix it.

I am not clear on something, which Bob White touched on. Was this person removed as Cubmaster and then allowed to register as a Webelos Den Leader, or has he just stepped in? If he has not been allowed register, how can he be a Den Leader? If he was allowed to register, why did the Committee Chair and COR approve?

Many units don't take the background information on the adult registration form seriously. There needs to have been three references from people, with phone numbers, and they need to be checked out. I would guess this situation could have been avoided if the unit looked into this troubled person's past through the reference check. It is not just the problem of how to get rid of him... no doubt there are other major problems with the way the pack committee and the chartered organization are handling this unit to have let this guy become cubmaster.

Maybe you should also consider getting a committee chair. He/she really didn't do its job. If teh trouble maker wasn't suitable because of his actions for the cubmaster position, why would your CC think he was suitable for the WL position.

you have so much more contact and influence with the boys in the WL position than at the CM position.