Rushing the wolf badge???

HI. I am new to scouting. My husband is an eagle scout and wanted our son (second grader)to get involved- we found out there was no wolf den in our area, so I became a wolf den leader and started my own den in January. Within 2 weeks- I had 6 boys signed up- they all got uniforms- including myself and we were holding weekly den meetings. I was told that blue and gold was at the end of May, so if we work hard we can get all 6 boys thier wolf badge in May. Then we got a new cubmaster and he is saying I am rushing it and it is doubtful they can have their wolf in May. He says it took his boys a full year and other leaders may be upset that I went so fast. He seems to be a very controlling person and I am very confused. If I tell these boys that all they worked for they can't have they will be crushed. They have worked so hard- some of them even take their book to school and read it at recess!! Their parents have worked hard on signing them off on things EVERY night. I just didn't know the "policies" on how soon they can get their wolf badge. Any comments would be helpful.

Thank you

HOW FAST SHOULD A BOY ADVANCE?

Generally speaking, a boy should advance one rank per year. The important thing is to see that he earns the rank for his grade (or age). If necessary, allow the boy an extra month or two to earn the badge.

A Cub Scout's advancement progress depends on his own motivation for learning new skills, on the encouragement and help he gets from his family, and on the need for recognition. These factors will vary for each boy.

An "overachiever" will progress rapidly, especially if his family encourages him. An "underachiever" might not progress at all without an occasional push. Den leaders can provide motivation by stressing advancement work during den meetings and by providing quick rewards and recognition...."

Cub Scout Leader Book, Page 18-3

First of all, if your boys have earned their Wolf badge they should be presented at the earliest possible pack meeting, regardless if what your Cubmaster or the other den leaders may think.

Secondly, the program is self-paced. Your Scouts should be allowed to work on the advancements as they see fit. The Cubmaster shouldn't hold them back, but neither should you set an artificial deadline of the Blue & Gold.

And third, what is your Cubmaster's expectation for when the boys should earn their Wolf Badge? The fact is, since they joined in January, they don't have the option to take a year to complete it. Once they complete the 2nd grade, they become Bears and are ineligible to continue working on their Wolf requirements (although there is some flexibility as to whether this happens in June or September.) What would your CM have them do?

THanks for the reply. I appreciate it and will explain that to my CM tonight at the leader's meeting. He actually said that maybe they shouldn't get their wolves at all and go straight to bear this summer. That would devestate them and all they've been doing they will feel was for nothing. He is just totally different from the other cubmaster who was the one I talked to when I joined- who told me no problem in taking only 5 months to get their badge. Yes, it's a lot of work, but they've done SOOOO much work and I'd hate for them to not get their badge. Thanks again!!

2CD said it so eloquently.... If they complete the requirement, they get the badge. Our pack does roundup in September, the dens really get going around the first of October, and the boys typically earn their ranks by March. Do the math, that's 5-6 months, including the holidays. It's probably only about a month more time than you have to get them completed by May. Furthermore, in Cub Scouts, you've got a little latitude, as 2cd quoted from the Cub Scout Leaders manual. Sounds like your new CM is struggling to figure out his place. Good luck.

I agree with the others. They should get their badges. Please do not back down. I fear if they do not receive their hard earned wolf badges they may become disheartened with scouts altogether and dropout.

Speaking of disheartened I hope that you do not become so yourself. You have created a wolf den where none existed and in doing so have introduced 6 boys to the world of scouting. You should be proud of what you have accomplished and the positive impact you have made on these boys.

Please keep us posted on how things go.

How did the leaders meeting go?

If you cannot get support from the CM, who should be thrilled that the boys are earning their badge of rank (and I speak as a CM), then please seek committee or unit commissioner or district executive assistance. There is no reason to deny a boy his badge if he worked on and completed the requirements. We register boys in September, usually don't settle into den meetings until early October, and by February most boys have earned their badges of rank. Six months is often doable, though there is no need to hurry to get done in that time frame, and there is certainly no reason to say it's too fast unless you are putting pressure on the boys (and it does not sound that way). If six months were too soon to earn the badge, 100% of the Cubs in the pack I serve are wearing badges they earned too soon this year. This type of thing just makes me mad--it's not serving the boys. Hang in there, and keep on having fun with the boys!

Thank you so much for you kind words. It really helps to hear that. The cubmaster said that it's fine, they can have thier wolf badge in May as long as I am not "backlogging" or signing them off when they are not completing things. I would never do that- it was already explained to me by the old cubmaster that they must have completed the tasks within this school year and of course I'd make sure they do whatever I sign them off on. First of all- I am a certified teacher, I know how to teach kids. AND I am the president of the PTA at our school- so some people do trust me... apparently just not the cubmaster. Oh well- I am in it for the kids and I will continue to have fun with them!!! I appreciate all your help! I will probably have more questions in the future!!!

A Wolf before its time is a crime, however, A Wolf advancing too late will never get a mate.

Seriously, If you do not rush in Cub Scouts, the end result is that you get behind and then each achievement suffers as they are rushed through.

Uhhh....

IIRC, Akela includes the parents!!! Most Wolf activities are within the capability of a parent/child partnership.

Is there some reason here the Den Leader is the only one signing off, OR am I mis-reading that part of things?

TIA, John

Yes, the parents are also signing off their boys on tasks as they complete them. Yes, many of the activities in Wolf are specifically for parent and child... and that is what the cubmaster is saying- that even that- the parents cannot do in 5 months- he says it's too fast for parents and/or den leader. Which, now, has been cleared up and my boys will have no problem getting thier wolf in May!! And, let me just say that NO we are not rushing through things at the point that they don't get the full advantage of what we are doing- we are just full of energy and doing lots of things!! This also prevents them from being bored w/ scouts- I mean really- if you spend 10 den meetings folding a flag- they may get bored, when really they had it down pat and showed the whole pack how to fold a flag after 3 den meetings. Thanks everyone for your support and advice.

mariewenden, you said that these boys and their parents are signing things off every night. If I recall correctly, there are about 50 things that make up the 12 achievements. If they do just one thing a night, that's 50 days or under two months. Most of these steps don't require hours of effort, a few minutes a day will usually do it. It's been my experience that the people who say it can't be done haven't taken the time to read the book and look for opportunities. A lot of the time, there will be stuff they do in school or just things that families do that will count.

You are lucky, you have very involved parents and boys who really want to be there. Keep up the good work.(This message has been edited by molscouter)

I have to agree here.

For various reasons, my son didn't join his Pack until B&G of his Wolf year.

Some of the requirements happen literally in the context of the Cubs' daily life.

He finished on time and with arrow points to boot.

Oh wow, that is great!! Yes, my parents are very very dedicated!! It is so awesome to talk to you guys and hear you be so positive.... I wish our cubmaster was more positive! Thanks so much for all the nice comments- I really appreciate it and it sure motivates me! We are doing an all day den meeting on Wednesday (there is no school due to a teacher training) so we are building bird houses and doing a cook out, I can't wait- it will be so much fun!!!