I just did the math!

I have two boys five years apart, my oldest is finishing up 1st grade (tigers). I am the den leader currently. Though the PM will be leaving us at the end of next year and I am set in line to take over the pack.

My youngest will be entering 1st grade, when my oldest heads to boy scouts. Thus giving me 10 consecutive years of cub Scout leadership. Add that to my own 5 years of cub scouts, and seven years of boy scouts.

I guess you could say my life has been directly effected by scouting eh?

I will be in it a little longer than you. I have three boys. My oldest is 12 and a First Class scout (starting from Tiger). My second is a Bear. My youngest is a 4-year old who is eager "to go cub scout." Thus far, six years in counting without counting my own two years as a young scout about 30 years ago. For a while there, our Pack thought that they had me as a CM for the next 10 years! Been a CM, Tiger DL, DL, WDL, ASM, and now CC.(This message has been edited by OneHour)

I have been in for 7 years so far (at the end of this year). I was not a leader for the first couple of years but have always been very active. DS #2 is finishing up Webelos I. DS #3 will be a Tiger next year. Behind that I have 2 year old triplets, 2 of whom are boys. If I am counting right and have no more kids (!) I will have been in for 15 years!

(that is just Cub Scouts, not even counting Boy Scouts, that would be I guess up to 7 MORE years!!!!!! I'm tired all of a sudden....my head hurts.......)

(This message has been edited by eaglewings2002)

***OneHour wrote:

My second is a Bear. My youngest is a 4-year old who is eager "to go cub scout." ***

My DS is going to be a Tiger next year. He has been wearing an orange shirt to all Pack functions since he was 2 (his idea) and has been an unofficial mascot of my den (now Webelos I) since Wolf. He has taken part in all activities and is the first one to put his sign up when the CM does. He is so thrilled to finally be a REAL Cub Scout. When the Tigers cross next month, CM is going to present Daniel with his Tiger book and hat, because he has been (in CM's words) a REAL Cub Scout for so long in spirit. I fully expect Daniel to be one of those really young Eagles, if his enthusiasm doesn't die!

Does your son have a Cub shirt he wears? Mine also collects camp shirts, and if he can't find the orange one he wears a camp shirt. Never have to remind him to get into his "uniform"!! Just wanted to share.

I believe your math to be correct. and that 1hr per week of non scouting activity can be substituted with phone calls to the PM, and den parents on any moments notice.

However I must say i have everyone trained. It is now Hockey playoff season and i have not been called durring my teams games. Not that i would answer anyways, thats why i have voice mail!

"You must be doing something wrong. I get 2 hours."

Hmmm. I must really am be blessed! I get 1 hour a week per boy in the troop and in the pack or roughly translating to 130 hours a week or at least that is what it feels like!

1Hour

ps: the name says it all! ;)(This message has been edited by OneHour)

two hours a week? I dream of that much time.

Though my tiger den has won the spirit award EVERY pack meeting, and the centerpiece award at the b&g. Guess im doing something right.

Looking forward to graduating them at the end of the month (hope i dont cry during that ceremony, i would loose coolness points)

Dan