Webelos Crossover Ceremony

I am attending a Blue and Gold banquet this weekend where three Arrow of Light recipients will be crossing over to local troops. There are three or four other boys who evidently will not complete either their Webelos badge or Arrow of Light but will not be able to return next year to Webelos. I was asked if these boys could participate in the ceremony. I told the leader that I thought the crossover was symbolic of moving over to Boy Scouting and that I did not think the Webelos badge or Arrow of Light awards were a prerequisite. Nonetheless, I'm interested in what some of you might share on the topic.

The 5th grade Webelos who will not be able to return next year still have the rest of this year to complete any requirements they are missing. Cub Scouting does not end with Blue & Gold.

These boys can receive any awards they have earned to date and watch as the others cross over to Boy Scout Troops. Hopefully watching the crossover ceremony will inspire them to finish their rank at least. They can then work on their Webelos stuff for the rest of the year. At your last Pack meeting of the year you can award them whatever they have earned. You can also cross them over to a Boy Scout Troop at that time.

The only way that any of the Webelos without AOL can crossover to a Troop this month is if they are 11 years old. I would not let them participate in the crossover.

If he (they) are 11 years old, and eligible to go to BS right now, let them participate. If they do not meet the eligibility criteria, then they should not do the ceremony with the other boys. Scoutnut makes a good point, they still have the rest of the school year and summer to finish up on the Webelos Badge and AOL, and you could do ceremony for them in September or June.(This message has been edited by fotoscout)