Hi- Well everyone was real helpful with the Pinewood Derby for me. Now I am putting on the District Cubmobile races. Anyone have ideas for me on how to run the race. Your input would be greatly appreciated. I am the cubmaster for Pack 37 in Murray KY.

Thanks, Sandy

Hi Sandy,

I havent done one these but Ive already put it on the district calendar for next year. We dont have a safe hill around here to run it on so Im thinking about running it like our Klondike. My thoughts are to have some type of Jr. obstacle course with challenge stations along the way. The stations would be simple stuff like the bobcat material, spell your name backwards, tie you shoe, and simpler stuff for the Tigers.. things like that. Then we would judge the cubmobiles much like we do with the Pinewood Derby Cars. Depending on the location, we might add a flat out race to the event.

Our district hasnt done one of these in over ten years, the old timers were very excited about doing when I brought it up!

When we did cubmobile, we had the same issue with a safe hill. Our DE asked one of the Venture Crews to build a ramp, which they did. It was built on a straight stretch of level street that was blocked off by the authorities. It was about 6' hight and 20' long, and gave the cars plenty of momentum.

The biggest things we ran into in the planning was design criteria and getting standardized car sizes and wheel types, and then during the race itself, having a full-up "Pit area" where units could make expedient repairs to cars that needed it.

If you're going to do this, I strongly recommend you find a way to do it in a downhill-race format, no matter what you have to jerry-rig in order to do it. One of the most common things I've heard from Cubs after a Pinewood is "That was fun, but I wish the car was big enough to actually sit in and drive in a race...". That's what this is for.

KS

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tim- I am from Chickasaw District in KY. We are having our Cub Mobile race on Sat. April 4th. If you go to our website below you will get the specs for the cars and rules. I hope this helps. If you would like to visit us on raceday you are more than welcome. Even if you want to race. I am running the races this year. If you need anymore help my e-mail address is cubscoutmom3@yahoo.com.

Sandy

http://www.geocities.com/chickasawbsa/Cubmobile_Specifications_2004.htm

http://www.geocities.com/chickasawbsa/Cubmobile_races_2004.htm

--