Twentier Patch

I'm not familiar with the patch you mention, but to earn his compass emblem and all three points requires that the Scout earn 19 of the 20 pins. For boys who earn the 20th pin, what about awarding them a fourth gold compass point, to wear on the north positions (the one that is filled in when the get the emblem)?

• 2 months later...

Since posting the above, I found that the national-run Scout shop stocks the "Webelos Super Achiever" patch, although our council shop does not. It's a round patch with a gold border, a big "SA" in the center and "Webelos Super Achiever" around the perimeter. The background is the Webelos tartan.

Any Scout shop should be able to get it for you.

My council announced a "Webelos Twentier Award" about a year ago. The announcement on the council web site says: "Note: This is a local council award." It also says that it is to be worn as a temporary patch (right pocket.)

I am a bit curious about the "Webelos Super Achiever Award." Having looked at the link provided by OneHour, it seems to me that this probably is NOT a "national" award, even if you can purchase it in some national Scout Shops. While the name of the site "scoutingbsa.org" has an aura of officialdom about it, the site identifies itself as being a volunteer-run site that was once, but is no longer, the official site of the Viking Council in Minnesota. The page in question also has this statement: "Our goal is to improve communications and to advance Scouting in Minnesota."

So, putting 2 and 2 together, if my council has its own "Twentier Award," this "Super Achiever" patch would appear to have been adopted by some, but not all, other councils, obviously including the Viking Council in Minnesota.

Which led me to wonder, if you are in a council that has not adopted ANY patch to recognize the earning of all 20 Activity badges, is it proper to wear such a patch that has been issued by another council? And I think the answer is, yes it would. This is based on my understanding (though I can't quote anything) that a UNIT may issue its OWN temporary patches, usually purchased from a vendor. In this case the unit would be simply be using an "outside" council, or a national Scout Shop in such a council, as the vendor. That's ok, right, everybody? I know I have seen unit-generated patches and other awards being worn, some that clearly were special-ordered from a patch-making business and some that were made in someone's garage workshop (like the leather button-hanging awards my father used to print up himself, in fact I have at least one in my patch collection, "Pack 203 Kite Flying Contest 1968." They look like the pack had to pay for them, but I know from personal recollection where they really came from.)

• 1 month later...