Two questions regarding Cub Scout hats

As to question 1, just to say what almost everybody else has said but in a different way: The hat is as much a part of the Cub Scout uniform as any other part. I personally feel the BSA should not have made parents buy a new hat four years in a row (Tiger, Wolf, Bear, Webelos) and it was not that way until the Bear hat was introduced about two years ago. One hat takes you through seven (+-) years in a Boy Scout troop, it could at least take you through 2 years as a Wolf/Bear. Just my opinion. My son was before that anyway, he entered Webelos in the last "class" before they came out with the new hats. His blue-on-blue Webelos hat is now a collector's item along with my "overseas cap" from Boy Scouts in the late 60's. (In other words, someday HIS son will say, Dad, you wore THAT??)

As for hats in buildings, I have seen both answers. In my son's Cub Scout pack, hats were worn indoors as part of the uniform, including during flag ceremonies. In his troop, hats are on at all times (except when they are seriously exerting themselves or pretending to be a victim for a first aid game or whatever) when the troop is meeting in its regular room, which is a gym in a school that belongs to a church. However, on the rare occasions when the troop is IN the church (only for Eagle COH's as far as I have seen), hats are off at all times.