• 2 weeks later...

As someone mentioned, State Farm has a very nice package for this type of event. I believe that Allstate also has a program to do this. Some police departments will also put on this event. If you plan far enough in advance and have a large enough audience, the insurance companies will come in with a trailer and everything you need. Some of them even provide people to run the event. Your costs should be very low. All of the handout literature is available free of charge. You may want to make up completion certificates for the kids. When weve done this it has been at a District or Council event. Adults did the safety inspection, BS ran the course and CS (friends and Sibs) were the target audience.

Its a great thing to do, the kids really enjoy it. Good Luck.

We did one last year and it was a big success. Ask a bike shop to sell you some H2O bottle at cost to give to the participants; they will love it. The other thing I would recomend is that you open it up to scouts' siblings, as they will have a great time.

Some other tips:

1) Use Duct tape (you can get colored kind) to outline the various stations. It's much quicker than chalk, and more visible.

2) Have a station where you teach the kids how to patch a tire. You would be surprised how many kids can't do this; I was patching my own when I was 9 and so were my friends, but kids today don't seem to know how.

3) Before any kid participates, have a safety inspection to make sure their brakes work and that they have their helmets on coreectly. Also, bring plenty of bike pumps, because almost all the kids had to have air put in their tires.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi- We have done our own bike rodeo. Each child has to wear a helmet while doing this. We set up different obstacle courses for them to ride there bikes through. But if you have a local 4-H office they seem to do bike rodeos all the time. Also, you may contact your local police station they may have info. Good Luck

Just a word of caution on inviting siblings. It is a great idea but one that backfired on my wife. While a den leader she organized one with our friendly State Farm agent (he was our agent). It was set up as a family pack event one Saturday afternoon. State Farm does a great job. Everything was going great until one of the cubs accidentally collided with someone elses sibling, causing (we found out later) a broken arm. The parents of the sibling had no medical insurance and since the boy was a sibling and not a registered Cub Scout BSA insurance would not cover him either. The parents sued State Farm and the parents of the Cub Scout. State Farm did pay the medical bill, but the family of the injured boy still went after the Cubs parents. There was a settlement but it was not made public so I do not know what happened. Fortunately, my wife was not involved in any of the litigation, but it did cause her a lot of stress. You can have all of the best intentions, but unfortunately we still have to be aware of the legal ramifications.

SM406