cub scout klondike

Im sure that some here will not like this response, but Ill make it anyway.

Unless you have snow to play with, safe ice to skate on, or a trail to hike, I see no reason to bring a CS pack out in the cold. Go tubing, or go sleigh riding, build snowmen or igloos. Do something active in the winter environment. Wait for the first snowfall, then get on the phone and set up a spontaneous Winter Carnival for the next Saturday.

Planning an outdoor winter event with stations just doesnt seem like a good idea to me, not unless there is plenty of snow for the kids to play in.

fotoscout: You may have a point but first I'd find out where they are located. Not every one is frozen over.

Lanchejos: How about "needle in a haystack"... fill a childrens pool with hay and giver them a set amount of time to find the needle. Peppermint sticks work well.

• 2 weeks later...

I think your idea is great. Heck kids play out in the snow all day long. I live near Albany NY. We are family camping in Feb. We will stay in a Scout camp heated cabin and snowshoe and sleigh ride.We'll work some cold weather survival discussions in and a short campfire.

Make sure evey kid has a small stainless steel thermos(10bucks at dic's sporting goods) and warm clothes and have a blast.Work in and Ice rescue.Have the Den cheif lay on a foam pad or sled and explain how to rescue him(new bear book pg 101, oldbook 87) Ice skating safety pg 241 Wolfpg 130 "snow ball bean bag toss. go on a birds nest hike--see how many nests you find with no leaves on the trees---the birds are done using them. Let your imagination work. Keep it safe keep it simple have a blast.

If you're in a cold-weather area, by all means, use sleds for each patrol, with or without snow. The physical activity of pulling that thing between stations will help them keep warm. Publish a provision list that they have to carry on their sled (blanket, first aid kit, water bottles, trail mix, whistle, etc), for attention to detail and so they have it if they need it.

For the stations, anything skill-related that's age appropriate is fine; just make sure it's something that requires physical activity (gross motor skills vs. fine motor skills), not just answering questions. Same rationale, keep 'em warm. You can award "gold nuggets" (spray painted rocks) at each station, or something that maintains the theme. Needless to say, don't design stations that depend on snow for them to work.

If it's an overnighter, make sure they're properly outfitted. You've got someone in your district who knows what's right for your area -- follow their advice.

If they're Cubs, you'll have parents, too, and they know their sons to include their strengths and weaknesses. Make sure the parents are helping to monitor their sons.

Keep soup on simmer on the stove all day, and pour it down their gullets. Give 'em all the hot cocoa they want, too. Insist they use the bathroom right before they zip into their bags, and don't let 'em sleep in the same clothes they wore all day. Disposable 99-cent toe and hand warmers are worth every penny -- toss one in the bottom of your bag a half hour before you get in it, and your feet will be toasty all night long.

Nothing like a Klondike to spike up the self-confidence of a boy, especially if he didn't freeze to death out there.

Have a great time, we always did!

KS