Cub Scout Salute

We all know that Cub Scouts use the Cub Scout Salute will reciting the Pledge of Alegiance. Here's the question. Do they also use the Cub Scout Salute during the singing of the National Anthem?

I can't find any definitive yea or neigh on this one but I would suspect it would be yes since you are showing respect to the flag.

According to the BSA manual on Flag Ettiquette a hand salute is used during the National Anthem only if the music is live. A hand salute is not used for recorded music or if sung acapella. Why this is I have no idea, that's just the rule of ettiquette.

Bob White

Bob:

I think the salute is out of line when the anthem is sung acapella because, in most cases, when someone sings it, about 1/3rd of the notes are dead :) Therefore, it is not "live music." HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA . . . GOING NUTS FROM TOO MUCH POPCORN, MEMBERSHIP, ETC. (he said as he ran screaming into lunacy . . .)

DS

The boys must be "in uniform" to do the Cub salute, otherwise they just put their hand over heart like a civilian would. I put "in uniform" in quotation marks because you need to use some judgement whether the boys have enough of the official stuff on to constitute a uniform. If the person leading the ceremony is a Scout in uniform then follow their lead on the salute and hold it until they say "To" or until you are sure they are done. It is just as well the boys don't have to hold the salute too long while singing because a young lads arm can get mighty heavy during a poorly planned ceremony!

• 3 weeks later...

Salute, hand over the heart, full uniform, part uniform; these young boys will want to show respect for their country and for the brave people that have fought, voted, and died to give them the best place on earth to live. The red is for the blood and there has been plenty of it, the white is for their bravey and the blue is for the sky and the constellation of stars over us all that believe in democracy.

I am not trying to say that there is not a proper way to show respect but when a young man knows the reason that he is showing respect then it may only be the hair on the back of his neck standing or a tear in the eye dropping but it will nonetheless be the deepest kind of respect. Fuzzy

• 2 months later...

As a pack we went to a college basketball game two weeks ago. There were 4-6 packs there and everyone (all the scouts, not just the Color Guard), was allowed on the court with their Flags for the Color Guard. During the National Anthem some packs saluted with the CS Salute, and some by placing the hand over the heart. The music was not live.

The ironic part of this was that the informed leaders knew not to use the CS Salute so they told their kids used the hand of the heart. Others used the CS Salute. When we got back to our seats everyone asked the same question, why didnt those (these) kids do the CS Salute? BSA etiquette aside, the general public expects Scouts to use a Scout Salute.

It seems to me that if in doubt you should err on the side of showing respect. That being said, I would also lean toward using the "civilian" mode of showing respect when in doubt. Though if it is part of some planned ceremony, and the person leading it calls for "Scout salute" I would think it better to play along.

Now I know the Army only uses the salute if the national anthem is being played. I am certain the reason is rooted in history and military tradition.

Also, the Army does not salute for the pledge, if I remember the regulation correctly.

It does however salute for Revelry, which it would seem, the Army plays while the flag is being raised in the morning. On the other hand, BSA normally uses Revelry at the appointed time to wake people up.

So it would seem the BSA picked up some of the same rules the Army uses, while not taking them all.

Now another issue of debate is what to do while wearing the "activities uniform". That brings about many responses.

• 2 weeks later...

Proud Eagle, I would hope that the Army doesn't salute during Reveille because most soldiers would still be asleep. Reveille is the wake up call (ya gotta get up, ya gotta get up). "To the Colors" is played whilst the flag is being raised. "Retreat" is played as the flag is lowered in the evening. "Taps" of course, is played at the end of the day.

I'm in danger of losing my license to operate as a know-it-all. I made assumptions based on my time in the Navy. On a ship, a call comes over the 1MC (PA system to you landlubbers :-), "Reveille, reveille, all hands heave out!" To me, that wake up call was Reveille.

Looking up stuff about bugle calls, I find that that to soldiers, "First Call" is the wake up call and that "Reveille" is the call to muster for roll call with the flag being raised at the end of Reveille. I'm guessing that "To the Colors" is played whilst the flag is being raised since the Navy plays that tune while raising the colors.

Pershaps there is a Naval influence in Scout camps that we don't even know about.

As it is, I hang my head in shame for giving out bad gouge.