Immediate Recognition Kit

Hi all, I'm new to cub scouting and was just asked by our DL to take over as his job has changed and he travels much more now. So I'm cramming (first class this weekend)!

Question on the Immediate Recognition Kit: Our boys are Wolfs, so do they just have one cord dangling with their wolf beads or do we also have the empty bear cord on the plastic badge?

Thanks, td

I'll be interested to see the "official" line on this as I'm in a similar position (Wolf den leader, about to start handing out beads, etc.). My first inclination, unofficially, is to just give them the one plastic string. With the Tiger Cub emblem, the plastic strings kept coming undone until there was a bead attached, so it seemed more practical to hold off on them until there was a bead.

The only pictures I've ever seen of either Tigers or the PTR Wolf/Bear emblem, of course, have all possible beads already attached, so aren't much help.

Marietta

I'm not sure there is an official way to wear this, but if so, I would also like to hear it.

My son entered Cubs as a Bear last year. He received one cord, but the way it was put through the immediate recognition totem (is that what it's called?), it left two laces hanging down. Only one ever received beads, and the boys didn't mind in the least.

The trick is in the knots tied in the lacing; they come lose rather easily.

Our guys usually just get one thong, wearing it longer with only the Wolf beads, but doubling it over to add the red bear beads.

A couple hints that will apply to Tiger totems, too:

Keeping a knot in the plastic thong is impossible. We attach the single thong by poking it through the totem then tying a slip knot on the back side. To keep the slip knot from slipping, tape the thong and the knot to the back of the Totem.

On the other end, don't try to tie a knot to hold the beads on. In stead lock the bottom bead in place with the thong. To do this, push the thong through the hole in the bead top to bottom, then loop the thong back through the bead going back through the bead in the same direction, top to bottom. You will end up with the thong going through the bead, wrapping half-way around it, then passing back through the bead again. Not quite fool-proof, but holds much better than a knot.

Sir,

We have no other way to reach you to ask you this, but it appears that you may have made a mistake when you registared. We have recieved e-mails for you at our Troop e-mail address.

We don't know what you placed as your e-mail but you may want to check it.

Thanks.

Troop 230 Staff

New York