I didn't know where to post this as it hits upon many current threads.

Many of you have read my posts about the parents who left a campout because they weren't pleased with what they saw. One of their friends was not on the campout, even though his son was. Today I saw him and he wanted to chat about the troop.

His first question was "why would a Scoutmaster not ensure that the new scouts had a good experience on their first campout?"

My question back was "what did the boys have a problem with?"

He said "uhh..nothing, let me ask my son."

Son said "I had a good time, it was fun." When directly questioned the boy said he did hear some older boys cussing. Yep, so did I...and I saw the SM correct pull the boy aside and never heard it again.

We chatted for a few minutes. Much of the problem seems to be about "inexperienced patrol leaders" and "patrol leader was only 1 year older than the rest of the patrol". I tried to explain the new scout patrol method. I also pointed out that even within scouting there is not a 100% agreement about it's use and effectiveness.

This guy is retired military and equated it to putting a private in charge of a unit.

I said I thought part of the problem was there wasn't enough troop interaction and visiting before the crossover. He agreed with this.

These people are now in a different troop that has had it share of problems but is going through some adult leadership changes.

These parents were very involved in Cub Scouting. I think even with a lot of training about Boy Scouting, they aren't going to easily accept the new scout patrol method or understand that a young scout CAN be a patrol leader and be a darn good one. That much of the boy leadership learning is "on the job training".

They felt the adults should have been more hands on. They also didn't seem willing to discuss and try to work out their issues. Maybe because they knew they had a "backup" troop to go to at any moment, just waiting for the leadership to change.

I thought many of you would like hearing this "why we left" story. There may be more to it that I'm not getting told or just not hearing.