OGE,

I think that's a great idea. It would help clarify the essential policies and workings of a BSA troop. In fact, I'd prefer to see a booklet (like the one in the Boy Scout book for the parent/son talk concerning sexual predators). The signature line is good too. If there's concern or confusion over the program, the leaders/committee could always point back the booklet. It would also help keep the leaders honest, in regard to their approach to the program.

As it is now, I think many parents take information provided by leaders with a grain of salt. I say this for the reasons that I noted in my previous post. It's been my experience that some leaders and trainers (not necessarily in my troop) very often do not delineate their statements. They do not tell their audience what is "carved in the stone BSA policy", vice a recommendation, vice a troop policy, vice "my" preference.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some troops backpack, some troops car camp, some toops never go to summer camp, must do their best to deliver a general scouting program. Our troop had a heavy backpacking program. It looks like fun to new scouts but many leave our troop; it has been too much for many of the new scouts bacause the parents do not want to do the ground work to make the events happen.

Our troop is "boy run" but you can't expect the scouts to do all the planning (get permits-talk to rangers, and drive) themselves. Parents must be involved, and the parents who do most of the work for the troop have the most active scouts (usually make eagle first).

Yes our troop dose have a "parent handbook" telling them what is expected. We have had one for as long as I have been with the troop. A senior scout parent is in charge of our troop welcome wagon. He makes sure the new scout and parent(s) meet everyone and shows then the way.

National has a pretty thourough explaination of how scouting works in the new 90-minute New Leader Essentials program. Everything else parents need to know about troop operation, Patrol operation, advancement, basic camping supplies, are already in one printed resource called the Boy Scout Handbook. For parents who want to understand the role of Patrol Leaders and Senior Patrol Leaders there are two new manuals about to hit your service center shelves on those to positions. The information on how scouting works is readily available for any adult. The problem lies in the degree of variation within the units. Many units don't use the scouting program elements that the handbook says will be used in the troop. All the info national can supply will be worthless if its not being used by the scout leaders.

Bob(This message has been edited by Bob White)

With all due respect Bob White, training is not the answer to all. You said "The information on how scouting works is readily available for any adult. "

I was a Cub Scout parent for 3 years before becoming a leader. My ex-husband was a leader for 2 years. We were doing good to find out about training as a leader! That is the training that is offered in our district or council. I have yet to see BALOO offered in our council in the last year.

Most parents aren't going to take 90 minutes to sit through training. Many never stop out of their car for the meetings. They don't see why THEY have to be trained, THEY aren't running the program, THEY aren't the scout leaders.

I agree with the posts about a booklet like the Child Protection booklet. But let me say this, to earn the Webelos Badge the parents must sign that they read the Parent's section of the Webelos handbook. It is probably about the length and content what you guys are thinking about. I had parents sign off and then not have a clue about what was going on.

I know I've rambled a lot on this subject, but is fresh in my mind from dealing with Webelos parents. And it is near and dear to my heart since I lost most of my Webelos from scouting completely.

Same parents who didn't read the book would complain about not enough time. I had one mom who was the only single one out of the bunch. Dealing with 3 kids ages 9 to 17, no relatives near by, not a lot of money, etc. She had time to read the book. She would sometimes call me up and we would go through the book together about things that her son needed to make up if he missed a meeting or things that he could do on his own or things she could tie into schoolwork. She found ways to get him to meetings and campouts. Our sons happen to be good friends. A couple of times when we couldn't take the boys to a big Cub Scouting event for whatever reason, we would spend a Saturday together working with them on projects. She periodically went through his book to see what needed to be done.

Other parents had no idea what was required for Arrow of Light or where to even find it in the book. I sent home newsletter after newsletter spelling things out. Calendars galore, still things were a "surprise to them".

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

The structured training will not answer the problems of parents who won't sit still and listen, nor the parents who think they already know everything.