I don't know that to be true, FOG. Can you cite a source?

Personally, Stargaza, I think it's difficult to try and have a whole den of boys work on a single flag. Why don't you design it as a group (you sketching ideas and elements that the boys suggest) or let each boy design a flag and vote on it. You can then assign fabrication to a Scout and his parent.

But an even better idea is to create a den totem. There are tons of ideas on the web and in the Cub Scout How-To book. Let the boys decide on an overall theme and make their individual nameplate. You or a handy parent can make the stand. Not only does that process involve many more hands, but the boys can display their achievements on the totems.

Den Chiefs!

Den Chiefs!

Den Chiefs!

With the boys, design the flag one meeting.

Bring the materials the next meeting and build it.

They are better at this than you might think.

Our guys put an BSA event patch on the flag for every event they participated in.

They are very proud.

FOG...proof please for your opinion?

If it is true, we wasted a lot of time at WLOE last year.

• 2 weeks later...

We use a regulation flag with streamers on it.

I have the boys make a streamer with their name and the year they join. If they joined as a Tiger the streamer is orange, if they joined as a Wolf the streamer is blue, Bear yellow gold. Im not quite sure what Ill do if they join as a Webelos. The streamers are all the same size.

We make a big thing out of adding the streamers to the den flag. The boy, his parent(s), and the rest of the den are all involved. Then I tell them that they have to return the streamer to me when they make Eagle.

If youre anything like the boys, youre wondering, what is he going to do with the streamer when I make Eagle. The answer is, I dont know yet but I have a few years to think of something.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just my thoughts on Den Flag ideas. We took a gold piece of cloth (same size as official den flag) and using fabric paint had the boys put their handprints on it. Underneath their hand print they wrote their name with a fabric pen. We had the whole cloth covered with the Cubs handprints. Next, I took the gold cloth and sewed it to the back side of the official den flag. After I was finished sewing it all together and was showing it to my wife and she responded with, "What happens if a boy leaves the den or a new boy joins?" I guess I didn't think that one through enough. However, our flag looks really cool!

• 1 year later...

Here are a couple of suggestions on making a den flag.

1. Buy a white pillowcase and paint. Put paint on one hand of each scout and make a hand print on the pillowcase. Once you do that, the scout can write his name under the hand print. You can also add pictures if you want. Then if you have someone who is crafty, buy a dowel and connect the flag to the dowel. Then all you have to do is make a stand to fit the dowel.

2. You can buy a small flag at the Scout Shop and then redesign the flag with picture's or whatever you want. I had a friend that used an iron on of a scorpion, they were a patrol troop named The Scorpions.

• 3 weeks later...

You'll probably get a kick out of the way I do things with my den. You see, I'm very, very NOT financially able to buy, spend etc. on anything for my bears as far as flags, crafts, etc. are concerned. But, the good part of that is that I am abnormally creative, and can turn a rock or leaf or matchstick into things you'd really marvel at. Anyway my point of this reply was to tell you how we did ours. We did a totem, instead of a flag. I have a friend who has bamboo growing wildly on his property and so, I gathered a 5' stalk, a piece of PVC pipe that was about 1/2', and was just a little wider than the bamboo stalk, a little quik cement and a big empty coffee can. I cemented the PVC into the coffee can, to act as a holder for the removable bamboo stalk. On the stalk itself, I used my dremel and made 8 holes (not all the way through to other side of stalk) at different heights and all sides of stalk. I used dowels, the same size as the holes, (one for each bear cub) The dowels will serve as a base for each cub to hang achivmts from. The coffee can base is a real breeze to bring to the meeting and take home afterwards. The dowels pull out at the end of the meeting and are slipped into a little bag. We will be adding to this stalk as time goes by. If I remember to do so, I will post a link to a picture of our totem for you to see.

P.S. OH! I forgot to mention that for each cubs dowel, my sister, (also born creative) beaded in little letter beads, each cubs name, and for the first meeting each cub was presented with his dowel to hang onto totem.

I may not have explained this too well If you want me to answer any questions about it, post here and I'll reply.

Have a great week everyone!

In our Pack we make totems for each den.We also have Flags.They are passed down.Example when my Webelos crossed over the boys presented it to the tigers.The boys crossing over put their intials and year of cross over on a ribbon and tie it to the pole.My great nephew's den flag is the same flag of my oldest sons den.Just our way of connecting old and new.Most of the flags date back to 1994.This is when the pack started.