This is my 1st year being a leader and I know that this isn't a 1st time problem. I need some help figuring out how to go about this without making the parents mad or hurting the scouts feelings. We have some boys in our den (some are new and some are old) that have not yet picked up their cub scout book (bear) or the uniform. I have sent out an information sheet for the parents last night and at the bottom put a reminder that the boys are supposed to bring their books to every meeting. We have 11-12 boys in this den. We have 3 leaders counting me. There is no way we can give them their awards without them having a book. Has anyone here had this problem and what did you do? These boys haven't said anything about not being able to afford it.

The boys probably will not tell you if money is a problem, they may not know themselves.

I had this problem last year. I started calling each parent and asking them if they had a chance to get the book yet. If the money issue comes up, then let them know if the pack is willing to help.

They may not be reading the note that is sent home.

Until the parents can get to the scout shop, they can download a copy of the requirements from

www.usscouts.org/advance/cubscout/intro.html

Of course, this download lacks all the illustrations & background info a Cub may need for many of the requirements, but in the mean time it can serve as an easy band-aid until they get the handbooks.

In our pack, this has been a problem, but it wasn't revealed until I learned that our Webelos II den did not know how to use their handbooks. Ouch! In talking with the den leader, I learned that he did not know how to use the handbook. So, I spent time with the parents and their sons, showing them how to use the book. I was not given any training in this, nor is there anything special about me, but my oldest son had 6 months from joining to Arrow of Light, and he wanted to earn Arrow of Light. I practically memorized the book, trying to understand this all myself, for it made clear that he was on his own with my help. I have since learned that other parents in other dens don't understand the book either. However, with EVERY one of them, when I sat with them, took an advancement or activity badge and worked through it with them, they saw how this helped their son, and their son saw HE could track what he is doing, and the end result was that the entire families are fired up about those books now. Educate the parents, not just the boys. Good luck! It takes time, but it's time well spent when the boys begin to get hooked on Cub advancements :)

Laurie,I agree that the book is hard to understand. A lot of times it's parents like you and myself who try to figure it out so that our children can achieve the most out of scouting. I think it probably would be a good idea to a least list some of the requirements in the books. Then if they don't understand, I could explain.

fotoscout, your idea is what we are in the process of doing. The other leader that I am working with thought of that. Thanks for the info. We'll see how this works. I really appreciate all the help! I know I'll be back with more questions. :-)