How to get boys to sing? And how to introduce skits & such?

I am thrilled that the boys went on a Cub Family Overnighter and returned with big smiles, fish stories, and lots of happy memories! One of the things that my son liked was the skits and songs around the campfire. I have Sparklers, Cub Songs, and all sorts of neat things here. That's the easy part--getting the materials. I believe in striking while the iron's hot, so since singing and skits were a hit at the camping trip, how best to just add them into a Pack meeting? All ideas welcomed! TIA :)

p.s. This is new to our pack; the boys have not sung before and the leaders' eyes got big when I asked about it. But I'm not shy when it comes to singing, and I used to lead 200 Girl Scouts every summer in song, so I'll tackle this :) They may groan at my voice, but if they don't like it, they'll just have to get louder!(This message has been edited by Laurie)

I usually come to Pack meetings prepared with a few songs and at least 1 participation story. The words to the songs I copy and leave by the door so everyone can take one. When we hit a snag or a slow spot I just grab the microphone and go! Everyone used to think I was nuts when I first started this (they still do, but that's another story - LOL!). Gradually they came around because everyone had fun!

There was one Pack meeting I still remember. It was getting VERY boring so I quietly told my hubby he had to go up and make an announcement about popcorn. Yep, you got it! As soon as he said the magic word, I got up and let loose a chorus of "Announcements - Announcements" at the top of my lungs! The boys loved it, the adults looked confused, & my hubby just rolled his eyes! Hummm - Maybe I'll teach that one to my new Tigers this year! LOL!!

Like ScoutNut said, when your Pack meeting hits a lull, get up there and start singing. I found that the more gross the song was, the more the boys loved it. Look on line for songs - you'll find better ones than the ones in the Cub Scout Song book. Also, encourage your Cub Scouts to write their own songs. They can take a tune they know and write new words to go with the monthly theme.

The boys in my dens loved doing skits. THe sillier and cornier the better. Or again, get them to write their own.

Don't be afraid to make a fool of yourself. The boys will feel more comfortable being silly, if they see you doing it and enjoying yourself.

If you can get a microphone, let the boys use it for skits. They all like to talk into a microphone AND everyone can hear them better.

Don't be afraid of letting them read the parts to a skit.

There are even some skits that don't require talking, maybe a sign or two helps. This is good for a den like I had this past year -- the boys would NOT talk in front of the group for anything! But I didn't give up, the skit for Blue & Gold was a silent skit (I held up a sign with the name of the skit so people would now and one dad did the one speaking part). I also would get them up at the pack meeting to lead the Cub Scout Promise.

This month I'm going to tackle singing...well, actually I'm going to tackle another adult to lead the signing! LOL

Kids love this song

Tarzan of the Apes sung to the Battle Hymn of the Republic

I like coconuts, bananas, and grapes

That's why they call me TARZAN OF THE APES!

(YELL tarzan of the apes and pump your fist up in the air)

Sing? Have fun?

I think that it helps if the adults buy into it. Nothing better than leading by example.

Also, I've found that "repeat-after-me" songs are very popular.

In Cub Scouts, I had loads of fun with songs and the "announcement" cheer mentioned above (I think that the adults were having more fun than the kids). Unfortunately, all that vanished when I moved on to Boy Scouts. Evidentlythe adults feel "that's too Cub Scout" so they don't do it which has carried over to the boys. Oddly many of these adults go to hockey games with their faces painted.

Hi Laurie! When planning our calendar we have 1 den do set-up (chairs and tables), 1 den does the flag ceremony, and 1 (or 2) dens are scheduled to do a skit/song. We rotate this around for the year, and if a den is REALLY excited about a skit/song....i'll never turn them down.

Sparkie :)

What seems like many years ago to me, I too was in your situation. I just announced that this is what we would be doing at pack night. The biggest hurdle is the parents, but they too will come around.

I would suggest you and a couple of adults doing a skit at the first meeting. I would further suggest that this is the last skit you do for the year. Why, so the boys can go and do their thing and not be in competition w/adults. Need skits, go to www.macscouter.com and follow skit links. check out baloo at usscouts.org

As for songs, i couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, but that hasn't stopped me. In fact, folks who can sing and understand what a tune and rythym are, stepped forward to help "keep the song on track" and did their best to "outsing" me. It did not take long for the pack to embrace this. It is so representative of scouting spirit and will only serve to make your program stronger.

After you are done preforming, let the dens know that they are responsbile for a song/skit/story/stunt/walkon each month. Break it up. You will be surprise at what happens.

Choosing songs for Cub Scouts becomes easier when you use the theme - I wrote up songsheets for our Cowboy theme and our Water theme (we did the raingutter regatta)

Here's a very simple repeat-after-me song for the Cowboy theme:

I'm going to leave!

"

Ol' Texas now

"

Aint got no use

"

For the long-horned cow

"

They've plowed and fenced!

"

My cattle range!

"

And the people there

"

Are all so strange!

(There's a couple more verses - a lot of the songs I use come from Girl Scout songbooks (shhh! Don't tell!) and from the KidsSongs songbooks with tapes - these are very helpful if you're not so good at remembering tunes.

Typing up the words to the songs can help get more voices to join in - once you have that critical mass the rest generally feel more comfortable singing.

Hello,

Singing has always been a favorite part of what I remember when I was a Scout. Even though I could never sing a scale when I had to. The program planner which comes out in a yearly format or in the Scouter magazine usually has one or two songs or participation story to use. Get the pack to learn one song a month and it soon becomes easier for us less gifted singers to "join in".

When a Cub Scouter I usually got a volunteer to write the words of next month's song on a large flip sheet of lined paper. Check your parents info sheet for the proper person to select. Choose the one who has good penmenship, but also thinks BSA stands for Babby... They never have the time, but when you can show them how important this simple little task is (they have a month to do it), they may even find an "hour a week". I was not above having a backup song which was easily learned (repeat after me songs with actions are good examples), and if my new volunteer ( X ) didn't get the job done, I would help them. When it came time for the song I would invite X up to the front, explain that X volunteered to help with the pack's song this month (make sure X gets plenty of thanks and applause before continuing). First you are showing X (the Pack) the actions, Then when it comes time to repeat after you, X leads the Pack.

By the way, failure is a great educator. I learned the importance of having a flip sheet of the song when i demolished America the Beautiful one pack meeting. If i remember correctly, we ended up trying to sing America the Star Spangled Banner.

Hello-

Okay, From personal experience with working with My Cousins pack, you have to sings songs that they will enjoy! FUN ACTION songs or songs that they can move to!(ex: "Going on Bear Hunt") Kids like doing those! And if you have a leader that will do it with them, then that is even better! After you get those out of the way then you can sing more down to earth songs if you want!

For the skits, Also do fun ones that the boys can get crazy with!

Our pack had not done songs in so long that I got a lot of strange looks last night when I said "time to sing".

Some of the boys knew Tarzan of the Apes from day camp, so they led that for me.

I handed out songsheets and we sang the first 2 verses to Home on the Range. A good song for the boys to be LOUD on!