Kicking off a new year, and I need advice please.

Off the tracking database thread, but ON the kicking off a new year thread -

Went to roundtable last night and my son (15) volunteered to help 3 local cubmasters do their "boy talks" at the local elementary schools. We have good support in our school district and the elementary classes usually allow a 5-minute presentation to support the cub roundup.

One of the benefits of being homeschoolers is that we can help during the day when the public school kids are tied up, so the homeschooled kids in our troop try to volunteer for that kinda stuff. I figure that it's a great educational opportunity for my son to hone his public speaking skills. The cubmasters gave him such a warm welcome, I think it really gave him an ego boost. And judging from the response Shane got at cub day camp this year, little kids really respond to him and hopefully his participation will help the roundup meet it's recruitment goals.

Thanks again to all :) I continue to follow this thread, and you all have suggestions and ideas that I am finding helpful and have been passing on to others in the pack, and we are getting really excited about this new year. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Laurie,

Lots of good advice here. Couple of other suggestions for you:

1. If your close to another council or district, see when their training is. Nothing says you have to be trained in your district - just let them know when you completed it.

2. Offer to the trainers a training for your pack and you will guarantee "X" number of scouters.

3. Find some successful packs around you and see what they are doing.

Hope this helps.

Bob H

• 3 weeks later...

You have received great advice. This has been useful to others starting in your position. I have a couple other quick tidbits that have changed our pack for the better:

1. Use your popcorn sales as your major fundraiser to fund not only your cub activities and recharter but also to provide your leaders with free resources and training.

2. We give our new leaders the cub scout leader book, academic & sports program guide, insignia guide, and access to guide to safe scouting, fun book, staging den and pack ceremonies, sparklers, etc. I personally meet with them and go over the material and run through what is expected from them as den leader.

3. Stress the "program helps" guide.

4. Communication - the newsletter is great. Hand out the calendar and hit the highlights at the pack meeting.

5. Hand out a "volunteer sign up list" at your 1st pack meeting. Fill it with large and SMALL things that need to be done. Some people want to help but don't have the time. The small jobs can lead them into bigger jobs later!

6. Also hand out a "call list" for volunteers. This list is again for people who want to help but can't fill a pack role. This list can be used if a job comes up and you can call to see if they can help on that particular job.

7. Put a fun activity in every pack meeting and keep them to a MAX of 1 hour.

Good luck!

Fish

CM