Medical Forms @ Daycamp

Ok, this may sound like a stupid question, but, just what is the "roll" of a med. form at daycamp? Are they even looked at when they are turned in, or are they just used AFTER a situation arises?

Our daycamp was run very ineffectively this year, and there were many safety issues in general. However, one of my scouts has allergies to all nut and bean products, and eggs (he has an epi pen). We did not receive a week-long activity guide, only a sheet day-to-day.

On Thurs. they had cooking programs.

When the camp director/health officer was approched in the AM about the scouts allergies he was VERY flipant in his response and said "it'll be ok, we know about it". I pursued to find out what was actually going to be used, only to find out one was to make donuts in Veg. oil (all soybean), and make cornbread in a dutch oven (made with an egg)!

Is it not the staffs job to go over these forms and find the red flags? I know as a leader i share some responsibility. However, many of the packs there switch off parents from day-to-day (and basically care only about their own kid :(). I'm considering taking this to council along with other issues (like no soap to wash hands in the washrooms all week, especially after handling turtles on Tues.!).

Am i off course?

Sparkie

(This message has been edited by Sparkie)

At out day camp, we definitely go over the medical forms to look for any anomalies and note anything important by Scout's name on the roster which is given to the den leaders. This is usually just a simple, one or two word note like, "nut allergy" or "takes medication at lunch, see nurse," etc.

Thinking about it, however, we probably don't do a really good job of making the connection between that and the program. Unless a den leader has a son who has problems like these, he or she probably isn't going to be tuned-in to the fact that vegetable oil could trigger a nut allergy -- I doubt if it would have occurred to me.

On the one hand, Our camp nurse should probably be doing a review of medical forms and then comparing that against the camp program to seen if there are any conflicts, like those you describe. Actually, I'm going to go back and add that to my day camp post mortem file of things to do next year. Thank you for that.

But on the other hand, if a boy has a potentially life-threatening condition, I think the parent has an added responsibility to let us know all the things which can trigger it. My son is allergic to cats, which we note on his medical form. I hope his camp den leader is made aware of that and tries to keep him away from them. But if not, the only down side is that he gets itchy eyes and a runny nose -- uncomfortable, but really no big deal. On the other hand, if he could die from his allergy, you better believe I'm going to be very aggressive in making sure the camp staff is aware of the danger and checking it out myself.

Our medical forms are reviewed thoroughly before camp starts by our nurse. They are also available to be reviewed throughout the week.

I do believe that there is some level of responsibility on the part of the scout (yes, even a 6 year old) to know what he can and cannot eat. I know that our cooking station director this year actually asked about allergies for every food item they prepared.

And as Twocubdad mentions, the parents have an obligation to make sure we are aware of the allergies and requirements associated with these allergies, especially if they are serious.

I know that my staff takes all this seriously. Safety is our primary concern, then fun. Unfortunately we can't wait for all the medical forms to come in before we prepare our program schedules so we do the best we can to meet everyone's needs and expectations.

Regarding the soap -- this had been an ongoing program for us. We don't actually have a washroom, just a pump. Now we tie soap in a knee hi stocking at both pumps so that soap is always available. We also try to make sure we have soap and water at key stations (cooking, nature station where they dissected the contents of an owl's stomach, etc.).

I had the opportunity to help out behind the scenes some for our day camp, and part of what I did was to separate out the medical forms from the enrollment forms, checking that each boy and leader has a medical. Then, the woman handling the paperwork made a list of who needed medicals, and as the boys who arrived at the first day of camp, the parents of those missing them were asked to fill them out. Those that had already been filled out were reviewed prior to the start of camp, taking note of special needs and allergies. I'm not sure how--or if--the den leaders knew if there were problems, but I do know that every time a boy was sent to the nurse, his form was pulled immediately.(This message has been edited by Laurie)

If your summer camp is running correctly you should have medic(s) and a health lodge technician. The health lodge technician should be the one who is responsible for cheeking or delegating who is to check. All food allergies schould be turned into the kitchen, and a list kept in the first aid area. Then the medicals are alphabatized and kept.

After camp the medicals are to be kept for a periiod of 10 years (I think) and after that destroyed

-Jeff

Many thanks Sparkie. You sure got my little gray cells working.

Of course there are day camps and there are day camps. Some are staffed by, paid staffers and run week after week for most of the summer. Then there is the district day camp, a once a year deal, staffed by volunteers.

All day camps have to meet the National Day Camp Standards.

I have ran a few day camps, and that first day is a nightmare. Everyone is coming at you from everywhere, all wanting something and everyone has something which needs your attention.

In the past I had made a big deal over epi pens and inhalers, but had not paid a lot of attention to the other stuff. In fact once we got everything calmed down, I was happy to let the nurse go over the medical forms.

I do know that nuts are now a item that we have to watch. Over across the pond, in the UK, they are marking everything that has even come close to a nut.

At the end of the camp we gave the forms back to the parent. We did keep the First Aid Record Books(One for staff and one for participants) On file for seven years. Not a big deal we handed them to the DE,and they now are happy little books somewhere in the Service Center.

Sparkie has received many excellent responses here. All of them at least up to this point are excellent.

I will also reply to her in private because I know her because I served in that council up until a year or so ago and know who the players are.

The point I want to make to all of you is don't be afraid to "go to council" with a complaint if it's a legitimate concern of yours. I think you'll find people there truly want to help you and want to know about problems they otherwise wouldn't hear about if you didn't.

Granted, sometimes people want crashing, firing action and don't see it happen, but that doesn't mean nothign has happened. You won'te be blackballed or labeled a crackpot -- unless you do it all the time, in an angry fashion and won't listen to explanations. That's about as plain as I can think to explain it. I'm about to advise Sparkie to do exactly what her gut tells her to do . . . go to the program director of the council with her concerns.

DS

Thanks to everyone for the advice and help. There was no "nurse" from what i could tell, one of the 2 camp directors must have worn that hat. Our Day Camp had approximately 50 scouts, so i'm not sure how that compares in the grand scheme of scouting (to small?).

As a cubmaster (and retainer of all emergency forms) i highlight area's needing attention on my boys forms, i.e. epi pens, allergies. In fact when i called this boys family last year to see what he could eat at our pack picnic they were very surprised, and thought it was very nice of me to ask. I thought, but that's my job!

I did in fact call council, and had a nice conversation. I figured all i can do is bring these items to their attention, and what they do with it from there is their choice (hopefully they will use it as a stepping stone!).

AdvanceOn, regarding the soap issue, the camp was held on school grounds and we used their facilities (not kybos). Even if the school did not have soap, i felt the camp director should have taken care of this and placed a store bought bottle in the washroom.

Sparkie :)

(This message has been edited by Sparkie)