Webelos to Scout Transition

I've been asked to chair our district transition team. We have 40+ packs and 40+ troops. Crossovers range from February thru September. I can't think of a way to track this. I have sent out questionaires (three times) as to when crossovers are planned and asking which packs are in touch with which troops but only received 10 replies. Any pointers on how you run your transition teams. Also has anyone heard of a "Bridgebuilder" program? It is intended to increase transition/retention by recognizing leaders in Webelos and Scouting who work to insure a smooth transition. Qualifications are to be trained, have good contacts etc. I'm looking for things to help our program. I'm told we loose close to 40% of our Webelos.

I have no suggestions as to the transition program itself, but I do have a suggestion to improve your communication with the units. You say you have only heard back from 10 of 80 units. Have you tried monthly district roundtables as a means of communication? In our district our Boy Scout and Cub roundtables are held at the same time in the same large room, with the opportunity for the occasional joint session when the topic warrants. I would say roughly 25 percent of units are represented most months, which may not sound like much, except that you are only at 12.5 percent right now. :) And what about your unit commissioners (which we don't really have, maybe you do), if they are out visiting their units they can be another channel for you.

NJ hit the nail on the head. Monthly roundtable is when the Pack & Troop leaders get together to discuss the upcoming events in the district. This would be the perfect time to gather your information. Contact the Cub & Troop roundtable chairs & coordinate this through them.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

In my council, we have a large event in April at a military base. It is attended by over 90% of the troops in the council. This is used as a communication point for different programs in the council.

I normally recommend that Webelos to Scout Transistion occur in February or March to allow:

1) The new Scouts to opportunity to work as Boy Scouts for several months before going to summer camp.

2) The new Scouts have the opportunity to participate in the spring fundraiser of the Troop, to help pay for summer camp.

3) Webelos is only supposed to be a 18 month program (September to August, year 1; September to March, year 2).

Thanks for responding I need ideas.

I go to every roundtable and have been asking for responses since September. We have a mail box for each unit and I've put one copy of the questionaire in each box. I've had a copy mailed to each CM,SM, and WL II Leader. I also passed out copies in March at the roundtable to fill out and return before you leave. Got 6 out of 100. "The WL should do this." "My membership chair has one of these" Everything but what I need. People will come to roundtable but willnot take three minutes to answer questions.

Yes I can attend each packs pack night and corner a leader but I would like to develope a plan or program to eliminate the need for that.