Troop vehicle obstacles

We are a small troop, and really need a bus or van. We have the money for the initial purchase, but the insurance is posing a problem. What have other units that own vehicles done to overcome this obstacle? We previously owned a box-truck, but it was registered and insured in my name, with minimal cost. Any suggestions appreciated. My e-mail address is: roy259@hotmail.com

Roy,

In the GTSS, BSA discourages troops from owning their own vehicles; initial cost, insurance, maintenance, time, etc.

I don't know your situation of course, but if you have sufficient funds for a vehicle purchase, have you considered putting that money into an interest-bearing account, and renting a large van when you need one for outings? That way, the insurance and maintenance is Avis' problem, and you'll always get a new vehicle.

Is your CO in a position to help on this?

Troop ownership of a motor vehicle, or trailer for that matter, goes to insurance. A Troop cannot get auto or fire and theft insurance on a vehicle as far as I have been able to find out. My troop owns a trailer which is registered to Troop xxx c/o me under my SS# and Drivers Licence. We tried to insure the trailer but were told by several agents that only our CO can get insurance on the trailer because the troop in not an insurable agency under the law. Check with your CO. You have to be registered as a not for profit or public trust(fire deptment, police, park district,school etc) in order to sponsor a troop and that is what is needed to carry insurance. This is what I have been told, check your area things may be different.

Our CO is in no position to help with a vehicle. They provide us with a wonderful scout building, and pay the insurance and utilities on it. On our trips that are more than 3 or 4 hours, we do rent vans. We might spend close to $2,000 a year on rental fees. I agree that this is the easiest way to go. However, we do something every month, sometimes twice a month. Transportation always seems to be a problem. I am a licensed bus driver, and other members of my unit are CDL licensed as well. We have access to a heavy duty mechanic. The only problem seems to be the insurance. I know that some troops have buses or vans, I am just curious how they do it!

Again I failed to communicate my idea, my fault. I was suggesting your CO title the bus, you have the purchase price. If your CO titles it in their name as a non profit (or whatever) Insurance is abtainable. At that point you can get into specific costs. Our problem was we couldn't buy insurance at any price because the troop isn't an ensurable agency.

the biggest problem I have seen with troop buses is the long term committment. You may have a CDL with a few other people, but in 4 years, what then? Will the mechanic still be there, will other CDL holders join up, what about a major mechanical break down, what happens in 10 years.

I dont know how other troops do it

Not being an attorney, I will opine on the law. As other posts have pointed out, a troop is not a separate legal entity. That is why it cannot register a vehicle or own insurance. If your CO partner is willing to take title, that is the way to do it.

This is a topic I was going to start a thread on. I too am a bus driver for our county's bus system. We have an old traditional style school bus which will be retired soon. Our troop may end up getting it donated to us, BUT...the insurance etc. is something I was not sure about. (Until now) Like Roy259, we have another bus driver in the troop and the mechanic at the County bus garage is an Eagle Scout who has already committed to help out.

As to the lack of future drivers...or when the existing drivers are not available, I have already figured on training "newer dads" to drive a bus and have them get their CDL with passenger endorsement. (This ensures drivers for years) But as Roy259 asked I am intersted in hearing from troops who DO or DID have a bus and the good or bad they have experienced.

My son's troop has a van. I wish they didn't. They demand to much of the budget to maintain. It only carries half the boys in the unit, and it makes it to easy for parents not to be involved.

If I had my choice we wouldn't have a van.

Bob

One of our local troops has a bus that was donated to them. I have talked to the SM/CC about it because we considered a similar one for our troop. They relayed several problems.

1. Even though they have a mechanic for labor, they pay for parts. One tire is over $700.00 and if you suffer an drivetrain failure, look out. They spend over 2K on annual maintenance. Old vehicles require a lot of maintenance.

2. Insurance, this is expensive and could put CO at risk in case of accident.

3. Drivers, they had 4 but most of time, had hard time keeping them around. Lot of people don't like driving bus.

4. Parents figured they never had to do anything as bus would take all the boys. BSA(Baby Sitters of America). That was the big problem. Now that troop has grown, bus is to small for everyone

This is just what I got in about 10 min of conversation

Paul Lamson

SM, T21

I see some realistic observations about the bus situation. As far as the drivers, that is not a problem. I plan on being in the troop from now on, and I love to drive. Our Troop Committee is outstanding, and support this. They do not help too much on transportation now unless we get in a pinch. They jump through hoops everywhere else. We have looked at maintenance. The one bus I have my eye on belongs to our school, and I KNOW the condition, and how it was maintained. It has low miles,it is a 1987, and when the district gets rid of it, I hope we can jump on it. Our committe has review this and the only major obstacle is how to get the insurance at a reasonable rate.

A few afterthoughts....the price on the tires that was mentioned by nidscout. $700??? Man, someone is getting to y'all. I know that we buy our bus tires, 11R22.5 for under $200 each. We have many resources for discounted parts. Like I said before, if we do end up with this particular bus, I know the ins and outs, and know that it is in good shape. Granted anything could happen, but so is the case with my 1999 pick-up I haul the boys around in. I agree with everyone that this is a big decision and a BIG responsibility. Our committee has carefully looked at it, and is ready to start digging deeper, if only we can see how other units handle the insurance. Thanks so much for posting. (PS- y'all means "you all" in Texas)

It would seem to me that any bus used solely for scouting purposes would be a low mileage situation. That should hold the insurance costs down somewhat. Taking a policy with a high deductible is another way to hold the cost down. Assuming that most families have medical benefits of some kind available, those benefit programs would be primary for any required medical treatment resulting from an accident. Of course the companies operating those programs would seek to recover their costs, but at least the initial coverage is there.

Some insurance companies also offer low cost all risk accident insurance to scout units. These policies don't offer high benefits, but are also a useful supplement to coverage families already have. Combining such a policy with a high deductible automotive policy might be a way to insure at a more reasonable cost.

One of the issues that was a big negative that we looked at was the loss of parent involvement. This was one of the major items that we looked at. Parents understand that in order to put on programs they need to drive and do events with us, but with a bus we envisioned a drop off in parental involvement. This is what the troop that has a bus now saw as one of the bad points of a bus

• 6 years later...