Troop vehicle obstacles

I would rent on an as needed basis or charter a bus. Sometimes Greyhound or other charter bus companies will give the Scouts a good discount shop around. Also look into some of the contract school transportation companies they will nogiate. I would not buy a van and take on all the responsibility with the upkeep and storage when not in use.

My mother-in-law has a 1-ton 15-passenger van. I use it sometimes to haul the boys on a trip. Most times, it is the only way that I can get the boys there as most of the parents won't (or can't) help. It'll carry 11 people plus a bunch of gear comfortably. I'm looking for a small trailer to pull behind so that I can carry more gear there and more boys inside.

Ditto all the previous comments on ownership, insurance, liability, maintenance, diminuation of parental involvment. ScoutLeaders need to always insist on not just 2deep adult leadership but 2deep vehicles too. We are encouraged to NOT travel 'in convoy' but it is real nice to have another Scout vehicle to call on in case of trouble. Cell phone exchange. "Be Prepared". Sickness, breakdown, accident, misplaced destinations(!). "Hey, didn't Tom leave the school before us?"

Our Troop has a trailer (owned by CO) that is main storage for gear. When big events come up, (camporees, etc.) a sufficiently large Scout vehicle needs to be volunteered to haul it. A CDL is not required, but a willing tow bar is.

Catalog all the minivans in the Troop family, see if the owners will allow another adult to drive'em. Maybe you can get around the need/desire for a Troop bus.