Summertime Award and Activities

A scout pack should provide the opportunity for year round scouting. To recognize this, there is the National Summertime Award, with pins for cubs, streamers for the pack flag and streamer for a den, just for providing, at minimum, one scout outing a month for June, July and August.. As for you burnt out cubbers, this does not mean you have to organize and run the event, a parent of an involved scouter can do this for the pack and the boys.

The question? What activities do you do for the Summertime Award?

My contribution: Took the pack to the USS Intrepid Museum in NYC. Fishing Derby, Minor League Baseball game. The pack always provided five option s for the summer, summer camps where included as an option.

Our summertime events start with our Pack Olympics (also used for recruiting new scouts...especially anxious Tigers!). We hold 4 academic and 4 athletic events (every boy receives a medal...sometimes there may be a tie for 3rd ;). Our other events include a miniature golf outing, local (Schaumburg Flyers) baseball game, visit to a local creamery (including an ice cream tour and samples :) , swim nite at a local pool, FAMILY CAMPING! (a must for any pack), and finally...our Pack picnic to kick off the new year! We also include participation in council camps over the summer.

Sparkie

Minor league baseball, pool party and day hike at a local park. Since our annual pack picnic/campfire/campout fell into June, we could count it as a summertime activity.

Don't forget day camp and Webelos resident camp. Although not Pack activities (and don't count toward the Summertime Activity Award), they are a big part of the summer program. Taken together, that ends up being a Cub Scout activity every couple weeks.

This year, we're doing a fishing derby, a swimming party, and a KC Royals baseball game. (Recently, that would have qualified as minor-leage baseball.)

We also let the boys count participation in a District or Council Camp for the individual awards.

Last summer, we tried to do a softball night and picnic, but we were rained out. That was just about the only time it rained last summer, IIRC.

This year we are having our annual "Family Fishing Fun Day". We fish, swim and picnic at this event. We are also having "A Day At The Creek" with the Boy Scouts. The Boy Scouts will be teaching us first aid, rope handling & knot tying, Leave No Trace, flag etiquette and flag ceremonies, and we will have a Whittling Chip course. We will also have a picnic lunch, door prizes and nature walk at this event. This give our pack a great opportunity to interact with our troop. We also have pack meetings each month one of which will be outdoors around a campfire.

First we continue to have Pack meeting each month during the summer. Second we provide some sort of activity each month during the summer (June, July, August). These events have included some of the following:

camping trips

fishing a local BSA camp

overnights at or trips to local museums

pool party at a local pool

We also take advantage of the Council Cub Scout resident camp and the district Day Camp, plus the local minor league baseball teams has every year a Scout Day, where Scouts and Leaders get in free if they are in uniform.

June - Day Camp

July - varies (resident camp, Houston Astros game, theme park, pool party, pinic, chess match against CM, visit local zoo, visit local aboretum, ...)

August - varies (pool party, water gun fight, pinic)

Do we have to do it as a pack or can just my den do the Activities for the Summer Time Award. We have lots of things planned for the Summer (my Den)about nine boys have already went to a pro baseball game. WE are going flying in August for the Young Eagles Program. Stock car dirt tract racing on a Friday night and they will get to meet the drivers who are my friends. Swimming party will be done as a pack. Just wondering: Clay

The National Summertime Pack Award is based on Pack activities. The recognition includes a ribbonfor the dens aand pins for the eligible Cubs.

You activities sound terrific. Be sure you file your BSA flying permit at least two weeks in advance of the flight.

Have a fun summer,

Bob White

Welcome to the forums Clay! The Summertime Pack Award is for the whole pack. Here is a link from our council website, along with an application form. I think this will answer most of your questions regarding the award www.chicagobsa.org/forms/summertime_pack_award.pdf

Sparkie

The Young Eagles thing sounds like a blast. Can I go?

It also sounds like you've done all the hard work of getting it organized. Why don't you call you Cubmaster and/or Committee Chairman and offer to expand them to Pack-wide activities? Not only will it get more guys involved, but it will also qualify you for the summertime award.

• 2 weeks later...

May I jump in here with a question?

Our pack has tried in the past (prior to my involvement) to keep the pack going during the summer months. However, most leaders coach baseball and most boys play it, and baseball here is a full-time event. As Assistant Cubmaster, I'm doing plenty that our Cubmaster simply doesn't have time for, and one thing we agreed on was to try out summer activities again.

We had 4 in June: the annual picnic (8 Cubs of 38), minor league baseball game (8 Cubs), Day Camp (6 Cubs), and a carwash (6 Cubs).

We have 1 for July: a follow up carwash; we were invited back. We expect about 6 Cubs.

In August we are camping, and have 7 Cubs signed up.

Of those numbers, 3 of the boys are from the same den (which is 6 boys total) and they are doing everything.

Does our den qualify? The pack is having activities, even though only 1 den is active. We set up a website to have a calendar for easy reference; den leaders have made 2-3 calls to each family for reminders; invitations were issued to all families. Still, this is it.

Hi Lauri! Yes, based on the information you have given, your den will qualify! First, your pack offered an outing in June, July and August. Second, 50% of your sons den participated. So....you (or another com. mem.) will have to file an "Application for National Summertime Pack Award" with your council by the end of August. You will be requesting a Pack Award Cert. and Streamer, 1 Den Participation Ribbon, and 3 Cub Scout Award Pins. Be sure to fill out ALL the information on the form.

Congratulations on running a Summertime program! Don't get discouraged if only a few show up, three boys earning this pin is better than zero boys earning it (even if it is our own sons ;) ).

Don't put to much value on the number of boys that don't show up, instead look at how much fun the ones that do show up have!!

YiS

Sparkie

Thank you Sparkie! I wanted to be clear on the requirements, and you sure helped with that. Thanks for the encouragement too. Actually, my greatest disappointment is that so many of our boys are missing out. My hope is that the boys who went to summer camp, took part in the picnic & ballgame & fundraisers & camping will be so excited about what they've done and earned that it will get others interested enough to come out next year during the summer. If enthusiasm is catchy, these few boys have lots of it :)