Denner & Assistant Denner

This year I introduced the Denner system to my Wolf Den. The denner arrived 15-30 mins. early, helped with the busy activity & any little bit of set up that was needed for the meeting activities. I'm happy to report that this worked most of the time, but there were times when the denner 1) never showed; 2) came late; 3) or was sent back home with the parent because I didn't have two-deep leadership upon the Denner's arrival & the parent couldn't stay.

Next year I want to use both the Denner & Assistant Denner system. I'm looking for ideas on how your den has delegated leadership duties to these 2 positions.

How disappointed was that little boy who couldnt stay to fulfill his duties because mom or dad couldnt spare an extra 15 minutes?

I chose to have two denners and no assistant denner, (I didnt have the heart to make one of them subservient to the other). They have a set of chores and I have them discuss who will do what as they setup and start the meeting. I have a large den, so two deep leadership is never a problem. And by having two denners, I am assured that one of them will be there to setup and begin the meeting.

We meet in the school cafeteria. I separate the tasks like this: Denner #1 positions the flags, moves the tables, hangs the posters, and generally prepares the room for our meeting. Denner #2 sets up our project or program materials and pre opening activity. Both Denners help carry all my stuff!!!

We line up in two rows for our opening, each denner is in charge of a row. They both lead the Pledge, one leads the Promise, the other leads the Law of the Pack.At the end of the meeting it's just the opposite.

When it works, its a thing of beauty.

(This message has been edited by fotoscout)

When I was a den leader, I had the boys elect a denner and asst. denner. The "term of office" was one month. The next month a new asst. denner was elected by the boys and the former asst. denner became denner. They did not arrive early. They led the pledge of allegiance, were the focal point at the pack meeting, became my #1 'boy" helper, etc. With a den of eight, there were no real task for the asst. denner, they just stood in for an absent denner.

Now, I also had a Den Chief who was responsible for pre-meeting activities (all the boys don't arrive at the same time), helping out with games and occupying the boys attention when I had to interface with the parents and would even lead some of the meetings.

Make sure you award the denners with the gold shoulder cords!

Laura - Do you have a son in your den? Technicaly, the 2 deep leadership requirement is for all trips and outings, not for den meetings. The YP requirement that would apply would be "No one-on-one contact". As long as your son was there with you there was no need to send the Denner home with his parent for 15-30 minutes.

Thanks for addressing the technicality of two-deep leadership. Upon my further review of the Youth Protection Guidelines, you are right: I only need two-deep on outings & field trips. To answer your question, yes, my son is a member of my den. Now I know better.

Thanks!

OK, back to my original question about denner/ass't denner: thanks to everyone who contributed suggestions about assigned duties to these temporary leadership positions. I will take them under consideration and in the mean time I still welcome any more that are lingering out there.