Den Chief needs help!

Hello, everyone. I am new at these two things; posting here, and being a Den Chief. I know of many games and activities for a regular sized den, however these require more than the two boys this den has. I need some ideas for what a two-cub den can do for fun, as I also need to get the leader a bit more into leading (He's doing the reluctant dad leading thing...). Any help from you guys would be very much appreciated.

When we held a Join Scouts Night, we separated the kids from adults and had the kids play a game. One game you can use for two Cub Scouts is to have them sit across the table from each other and put a ping pong ball in the middle of the table. The goal of the game is to blow the ball off the opposite end (your opponents end). This keeps the kids active and can be played over and over again. I've seen Tiger - Webelos Scouts enjoy this game.

As for the adult leader (reluctant Dad), ask him to send to you an agenda for the upcoming Den meeting so that you can prepare yourself. In reality, it will force him to PREPARE. Similar to what your troop uses for troop meetings, it should have an opening, closing, pre-opening (best use of a den leader) and a skill/craft activity.

Good luck.

(This message has been edited by acco40)

I applaud your dedication to this den. This is a site I found that gives you 130 Den Meeting Activity Suggestions. Of course not all of these will work but it will give you a solid base.

www.powwow-online.net/tips/130suggestions.htm

Perhaps your enthusiam will be contagious to all involved.

Good luck!

Those two kids are pretty luck to have you !!

Ask the Dad to get you a few books, Program Helps, Leader Book, and the Leader How-to Book. There is some great stuff in them. Like the last person said Pow-Wow on line is a great source of information.

As for the Dad, put him to Work. Show him things that you want to do with the boys and have him make them or at least he can go to the store and buy materials for you. Have him set up your Go-See-Its.

Another thing you might try is to dig up some Cubmasters Minutes from this or other web sites. Find one that goes along with your current achievement. Give it to the dad and tell him that it is appropriate for the leader to have this discussion with the boys at the close of the den meeting.

You might have a better idea of what a scout leader should be doing than the dad does. Dont be afraid to suggest to him what his role is.

If all else fails, come to New York. I have a den of 18 boys and theyre always ready for a new game and a new Den Chief.

I've always wanted to see New York...

Anyway, thank you everyone for the great ideas. I'll try them all, and 130 games on one site... That'll be fun.

The ping-pong ball idea reminds me of another two-player game that the kids probably already know - Paper Football.

As for getting the dad into it more, the best thing right now for me to do is just help him with the workload. Maybe. I guess relieving him of some of his duties probably makes it more fun, so it might help. Again, maybe.

And again, I thank everyone.