Crime Prevention Patch Discontinued?

On another list, I heard a rumor that the Crime Prevention Patch had been discontinued a year ago. (of course, these things are all overheard by someone's friend). Anyone else hear this?

We have had our WEBELOS den complete Citizen and Family Member ABs "out of sequence", had a talk by a NYPD detective on Internet safety and are making 30 mousepads with internet safety rules for the local school (the PTA is our CO). I may need to switch, or find an alternate special patch....

• 1 month later...

As far as I know, It has not been discontinued. My den earned this in Nov./Dec.

Another good award to offer the boys is the United States Heritage Award. 8 requirements and they earn a medal and/or a patch.

You can find the info at www.nationstrails.com

go to the awards section and look at the silver award (ages6-10)

Good luck.

Tim Dyer

The Heritage Award is really cool. Both my boys are really into history and this is something we can get into. I'd like to suggest it to the entire pack. Does anyone know if this is an authorized program, like the religious awards? That is, is the patch/medal okayed to wear on a Scout uniform?

Have any other packs offered this? Honestly, the requirements aren't too tough and I can envision quite a few boys completing it. At $8 per award, that could be a big hit on the pack budget. How do other packs handle this? Do you ask the parents to pay for the award?

Twocub,

I take it that this is similar to the Religious emblem awards. It says it was designed by "scouts". That could mean Girl Scouts too just like the religious award. This is from the website:

The United States Heritage Award was designed by scouts and adults to give youth recognition for learning about the heritage of the United States of America, and showing patriotism. By earning this award, youth can cultivate an appreciation for the wonderful heritage of the United States of America.

A medal and a patch can be awarded to all that successfully complete the award requirements. All requirements can be done with a unit, group, family, or individually.

A lot of effort went into the creation of this award. With the events that have touched our nation this past year, it resolved us even more to complete the project that we had already started. Given this opportunity to help others, net proceeds will be given to America's Fund for Children and children's charities. The United States Heritage Award has two different award levels.The silver award is for youth ages 6-10, and the gold award is for youth aged 11-18. Adults can also earn the gold award if they complete the gold requirements and assist a youth in earning the United States Heritage Award.

In spit of the fact that this thread was about info on the Crime Prevention Award.....

All of the seven Webelos in our den earned the US Heritage award last November. We worked on it in conjunction with the Citizen activity badge.

We only got the boys the patch (at $3 a piece), which we treated as a temporary patch. I think it used to say that on the website.

The boys all loved the patch, which is actually well done. The most difficult part of the award was figuring out the original thirteen colonies (which my son got from his commerative state quarter display)and writing a short story. Nine year olds pretty much all dislike having to write stuff.