Recharging a Pack

It's called "Cub Scout Recruiting CD". I'm told it comes in cases of 100, item 32424, and is ordered by councils, along with other recruiting materials. My store sells them for $0.50 each at the checkout counter. It's got some games on it featuring TC, Akela & Baloo, along with a pitch for Cub Scouting. My pack's affiliated school is low on boys in K5 & 1 grade, so we'll be using it for our spring recruiting drive at the end of the month. I think I'll put a coupon on the flyer, offering a free computer game when redeemed at the Pack Meeting. :cool:

• 2 months later...

It has been three months and to report success would be a lie. Our Pack is dwindling down. Only about 48% showed up for graduation. Committee meeting is down to less than a handful (5 out of original 20). We can chalk it up to baseball season, but I remember that we had for the previous two years well over 65% to 70% attendance (granted that some of them were in baseball uniform with a cub shirt over it). I am worry! I don't want the CM job back, because I am busy trying to turn the troop boat toward Patrol Method and Boy Lead, etc. Any suggestions? Our CC is backing off too! May be this is needed! To reduce the Pack from 94 to 56 is not bad at all. With recruiting in the Fall we'll be back close to 80, which is very manageable, comparing to 120+. May be I am worrying too much for nothing! Thanks.

1Hour

I envy your 56 member pack, ours is at around 25 after cross over.

Could it be that the current set of parents aren't as excited and committed as in the past? Are they not aware of the importance of graduation?

Are they burnt out?

Great idea, selling the games CD in the Scout Shop. I never thought of that one. We looked at the cost and realized that we couldn't afford to hand out 50 cents to every kid at every boy talk -- which is what was presented to us.

But we could definately sell them at cost to the packs. Thanks for the great suggestion!

DS

Cheer up! Spring is finally here, we actually had a day in the 70's and would you believe we saw the sun. And if its spring, its baseball season. About 98% of our Cubs play baseball. Attendance at our spring meetings is always low, probably in the 50-60 % bracket. Den meetings are the same. Its really tough to figure out whats going on with attendance at this time of year. We try to draw no conclusions from it, and chose to wait until September.

Packs in this area seem to number between 50-80 on average. We are at 68 and that seems to be a pretty good size. Maybe with your new CM, the smaller number will work in everyones favor. But with 80 kids you still have a strong Pack..