I think both programs should remain separate. Why mess with a good thing? I like the idea of both groups socializing at special events. For example, the Beach Jam in Wildwood, NJ each year is a wonderful mixup of boys and girls complete with planned activities, a dance and bon-fire on the beach. Thousands of scouts and tents all co-mingled on the beach exemplifies great scout spirit.

Also, the White Water Challengers in PA has an annual Scouting weekend for boys and girls with a dance and bon-fire and a full roster of activities.

I think events like that are great for the kids and allow them the opportunity to be social. Maybe more events like that could be planned rather than changing two organizations so drastically by going co-ed.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think co-ed scouting (except venturing) will hapen here. The girl scouts would disappear if the boy scouts took in girls of all ages. Many people would not want to support two simmular orginizations. Most of the Venture Crews (Sea Scouts too) are either mostly girls or mostly boys, however they do mix well at council level events. The majority girl units are also girl scout units.

I doubt very seriously that Girl Scouting would disappear, however we would put two very strong strong organizations with the same goals at odds that shouldn't be.

Historicaly speaking both organization share the same roots, that indicates (to me anyway) that we are brother and sister. Why start a family feud?

I don't think that Girl Scouts would disappear at all. Certainly hasn't happened here. We don't seem to compete either although I have no survey statistics to quote. There is a Guide (Girl Scout) Troop locally and three (Boy) Scout Troops also. My daughter is a (Boy) Scout and has a good mate who is a Guide(Girl Scout). Neither has any interest in converting.

Possibly you guys should look at schooling trends in the States. Are Girls' schools viable in the US?

In the UK (Boy) Scout Troops can be co-ed if they want to be. Maybe this would allow for Girl, Bo and Co-ed Scout Troops. That way you could chose.

MommaScout,

Indeed White Water Challengers in White Haven PA has a wonderful scout week end, for any type of scout.

Over the past week end I attended our council's first Crew Rendezvous, 5 Crews attended with 3 of them being Co-ed and another being Co-ed capable (they have lady leaders)

It went well and we had a great time, but then they were Ventures. Rather than try to change the Cub and Boy scout program, why not keep those already successful programs intact and work within the Venture program?

Yes, here is the web address: www.wcrafting.com , all the info you need about camping, merit badges, and council/district sponsored events is located there or give them a call @ (570) 443-RAFT. It is a great, well organized weekend with very knowledgeable staff and instructors. The first year we went we did the white water rafting program and the following year we did the mountain biking program. The kids had a great time and they provide an adult leader-only area where you can find a quiet place to have a cup of coffee and chill out!

Our Troop has done White Water Challengers quite often, each trip has a designated guide and 4-5 other guides who are all in kayaks. They do a safety briefing on the bus going to the drop off point and once on the water. They will hold the trip up once in awhile to gather the rafts up. We stop for lunch and its always a lot of fun. While its called white water, it is mild for an experienced person, but for scouts just learning, its great. They will furnish PFD's.

As a note, depending on weather they may require a wet suit and have plenty on hand to rent.

The camp facilities are very nice with heated showers.

If you attend a scout week end a nice patch is included.

Our Venture Crew is going up on June 8th and will raft on June 9, see you there? Anybody?

FYI...

I'm currently planning a similar white water trip for my troop. Per Safety Afloat, all participants need to be qualified swimmers (i.e., pass the BSA swimmers test within the last 12 months). If anyone is not a qualified swimmer, then that person needs to be on a raft (with PFD) with a certified lifeguard. Also, you need one certified adult (Safety Afloat) for every 10 Scouts.

Yes Girl Scouting would never go away. If BSA accepted girls into all of its units, they would either get a lot smaller or they would need to accept boys in their program. At the Venture Scout level many of the established scouters feal we are stealing girls from girl scouting (even though they are dual registared) bacaues our teen adventure program is on the move. They like the high adventure, the awards, and their own choice of uniform and program.

We have been talking to White Water Challengers here at the companies NY base. The are going to do a special scout weekend for us on 23-25 Aug. on the Hudson River. They are setting up a camping area with Port-a johns. Anyone that wants to Join the Northern NY troops for a weekend of rafting and hiking give me a shout. We are hoping if it goes well to expand with them for future years.

Hi Folks,

TWO Things:

1. One reason that the co-ed stuff is popular is that the Girl Scouts often DO NOT provide the same amount of outdoor opportunities that is available in Boy Scouts! This seems to be the biggest gripe of girls that I have talked to. Fix that and there will not be a big problem.

ABOUT RIVERS

I am a long time rafter and river person which I have carried on to my Troop. We do this ourselves every year training our Scouts in all the skills necessary to run OUR OWN boats.

I would like to address (in another string) this disturbing trend amongst Scouters of thinking that they have to PAY someone to take their Troop on high adventure trips. LEARN IT YOURSELF or co-opt someone who can!

I will try to title the string with something appropriate like Buying a trip or Doing it yourself..or some such.

Later

JB

• 2 weeks later...

When we really got into Scouting in 1988 we were stationed at NAS Signella, Sicily. We had the opportunity to interact with the Italian Scouts at several activities. Italian Scouting is generally co-ed from the beginning. One event we visited was a camp-out with Scouts and Scouters, male and female, all together at one place, from the youngest to the teenagers. There are several subtle differences in the Italian structure (they have almost no paid staff, everything is run by volunteers), but overall, it worked. I think it can work here too.

While BSA and GSUSA have long had a good relationship, the bottom line is that the Girl Scouts do not offer the same kind of program that the BSA does, and some girls want that. Secondly, without trying to get on the homosexuality/duty to God issues (that's another discussion thread!), the GSUSA have NOT taken the stance that BSA has, and that makes a difference to some people!! My Scout Executive (whom I trust to be mostly in the know) has indicated that there is a new all-girls organization forming that follows more of the BSA line and that it could become quite popular.

My personal opinion is that we will see more and more co-ed programing, but that it will be very gradual. But I also agree with the many posters who state that girls and boys do act differently in co-ed vs. single-sex situations and that there are pros and cons to both.