Advice on Parades

Our pack is going to march in a George Washington's birthday parade next month. No one in the pack, adults included, have done this with cubs before and I'm wondering what kind of advice you have to share? We are planning on just marching in formation with our pack flag and the American flag, might consider purchasing a state flag (well, we're from D.C., but we'd like to be a state), any other ways to jazz up our presentation? We are only registered as a marching group, so no floats--maybe next year! How hard is it to get the boys to stay in formation (at least to some degree). Thanks for any advice!

Formation? Are you kidding? If you can get them to stay on the parade route, you're doing great.

Depending on the age of your boys and the length of the route, I'd have serious concerns. Our local Christmas parade is about 3 miles and is too much for most tigers and some of the wolves. We have truck and trailer following the boys who march to pick up the stragglers. Usually the boys come and go, taking turns riding. We have strict rules about when to get on and off the trailer, with adults assisting and serving as extra eyes for the driver.

About flags -- they can get heavy over the route of the parade. At the beginning of the route, the boys are scrambling to carry the flags. By the end, they're looking for someone to give it to. We thought the holders you wear around the neck would help. The don't. While the transfer part of the weight, because the boys end up carrying the flag more toward the bottom of the pole, they have a lot more leverage working against them. If I could make something to carry the flags with, it would a strap the boys could wear diagonally across their chest and clip to the flag pole down by their left side with part of the pole behind and to their left. That way they're holding the middle of the pole and have leverage working for them.

Try contacting your local VFW or Legion Post for advise on marching as a unit. Even Cub Scouts can march an average parade route with the right motivation. The crowd loves to see them in the parade and usually clap and cheer, raising the Scout's spirits. As for the flags, have the Webelos carry them and rotate throughout the route.

First, you will need to wait in line for the parade to start. Be ready to sing songs and play games like Simon Says to keep the boys busy.

Have lots of adults to herd them along if you walk.

I agree with Twocubdad about looking into getting a trailer. The Guide To Safe Scouting has the guidelines to follow about using trailers and trucks in a parade. Let the boys decorate the trailer or truck. I would even hestitate to give them little flags to wave because then you get into the "eye poking" problems. Even some of the Webelos may not be strong enough to carry a full size flag and pole for very long.

The boys love being in the parade.

My scout troop marches in two parades a year and what we do is line them up on the white lines and make sure they keep up. We carry a banner on a pole telling our troop and Charter Organization and the boys rotate carrying it with the ones that get done carrying it moving to the back and so forth it works for us

Our Cubs usually march in 1 parade a year. I would not try to keep them in perfect formation, close is good enough. Posters are quite correct about the flags. Even with the flag holders they are heavy and very tall for even some of the older boys. Have the adults carry the larger flags and give the lighter/shorter den flags to the boys. You want the boys to have as much fun as possible! We have the boys wave to the crowd and sing scout songs as they march. Silly marching chants are good too. If there are some who might get tired, have a few parents bring wagons that have been decorated in the parade theme. That way if the little ones get pooped they can have a ride for a while!

I've been in numerous Christmas and Memorial Day parades with Cub Scouts. For a parade route that is one mile or less, we have had first and second year Webelos Cub Scouts carry the flag (full size) no problem. Getting the boys to "march" or actually be in formation is tough. Make it fun for them.

A problem I see again and again is parents who want to march with their boys. The Cub Scouts are in the center in a block formation and the parents walk along both sides encouraging their sons AND BLOCKING THE VIEWv of the boys for the crowd! Nobody wants to see the parents, expecially if they are not fully uniformed.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a litle different but we ride the boys on a float the pack makes when we go on parades. It is easier to manage the boys and we had a blast building it. It caught the attention of the judges as we won a $600 first place prize for best float at the last xmas parade.