Derby rules

This is my fifth year planning a derby and would like to know what rules other packs use for an open class. Our regular rules are pretty restrictive to try and keep the race on more even ground. This is the first year I have had enough interest in an open class and am looking for input.

THanks a bunch,

Sheila

Following these rules will usually let the boys compete in our district race with the same car. You just have to do what works in your pack. I haven't had any problems with anyone with these except for my husband (LOL) who thinks they are too strict. I still would like some input on open class restrictions.

Sheila

Pack 3 Pinewood Derby Revised Dec. 2002

Basic Rules:

All cars must pass inspection to qualify for the race. The inspection points are as follows:

All inspections will be completed prior to the Derby Day! No last minute inspections!

Car must be made during the current school year.

Width shall not exceed 2 3/4 inches.

Length shall not exceed 7 inches.

Weight shall not exceed 5 ounces.

Wheel bearings, washers, springs and bushings are prohibited.

Any details added must be within length, width, and weight limits.

Car must be freewheeling with no starting device.

No loose materials of any kind.

Axles, wheels, and body wood shall be as provided in the B.S.A. kit. Axles may be deburred and polished. Wheels may be slightly sanded to remove casting burrs. This light sanding is the only wheel modification allowed. Beveling, tapering, thin sanding, cutting grooves in, wafering or lathe turning of wheels or axles is not permitted.

Speed wheels and Axles are not allowed.

No lubricating oil may be used. Axles may be lubricated with powdered graphite.

Wheelbase (distance between front and rear axles) may not be changed from the original 4 .

The race is open to all Tiger, Wolf, Bear and Webelo Scouts registered in Pack 3.

Each heat will be announced. Drivers will report to starting line and place cars on track. All other people must remain away from track.

The starter will make sure cars are on track properly and will start race.

If a car jumps off the track, the heat will be run again. If the same car jumps off the track a second time, it will lose the heat and the car will be re-inspected and repaired if possible to compete in the next heat.

If a car leaves its lane and interferes with another car, the heat will be run again. If the same car leaves its lane again and interferes with another car, it will lose the heat and be re-inspected and repaired if possible to run in the next heat.

If a car suffers a mechanical problem, loses an axle, breaks a wheel, etc. and a repair can be made in a reasonable time, the heat will be run again. If not, the car will lose the heat. Breakage or repair outside of these rules may be appealed to the committee. Committee decision is final.

The drivers will then report to the finish line to record the results. Only the racers and race officials are allowed in the finish line area.

The car whose nose is over the finish line first is the winner. Place spotters will place 1st, 2nd, 3rd place winners.

After each heat is recorded, the drivers will return to their seat.

First and Second place Den winners will be determined first and they will advance to the pack championship heats.

Trophies will be awarded to First through Fifth place in the Championship heats. Ribbons will be awarded to all places competing within the dens. Everyone will receive a special award certificate.

A sportsmanship trophy will be awarded to the boy who shows the best sportsmanship throughout the derby in attitude and actions.

Any participant has the right of appeal to the committee for an interpretation of these rules. In case of a tie vote the vote of the Cubmaster will be final.

Unsportsmanship conduct by any participant or member of the audience will be grounds for expulsion from the competition and /or the race area.

I have read and will abide by all rules listed for this years Pinewood Derby. I will respect and abide by any decision made by the Committee.

Parent

Scout