How do you get parents to volunteer???

Your local council service center has a brochure on how to select uunit volunteers. It is a well thought out and very effective method. Some of the points that have been shared by other posters are included in the selection process. Read and follow the brochure and I think you will find it to be highly rewarding.

Bob White

A public plea for volunteers at a pack meeting or via a newsletter *can* turn-up the occassional volunteer, but IMHO that's the exception rather than the rule.

Recognize that parents otherwise involved in the program:

- don't always see the linkage between the activities and their son's growth/development;

- have a natural fear of failure;

- are probably already feeling over-committed;

- don't necessarily understand what each role takes;

- believe that someone knows what's needed better than they do;

- don't see how fun it can be.

If you have 'em, start with your unit's parent-talent survey sheets that you collected during registration. Look for talents and resources that would make a person successful for a particular role. If you have the time and/or contacts, ask a few questions of people who know these people.

Schedule a little time with them. Ask in a private setting so you don't put 'em on the spot publicly. Explain the importance of their involvement - both for their son's sake, as well as that of the boys - that you've a job that needs doing, and that they seem to be esp. qualified for it. Tell 'em how you'll support 'em (training, resources, mentoring, etc.) but only if you'll *deliver*. Try to arrange for them to apprentice w/an experienced team, rather than doing it all by themselves.

In most cases people will accept. Your having done your homework will impress and flatter them.

This approach takes a little time - but probably a whole lot less than that expended were you to continue doing it all yourself. (grin)

• 1 month later...

When I reorganized my Pckwhen I tookover 2 years ago, w had 8 boys and 1 leader, now we are at 85 boys and 38 adult leaders. My biggest advice is to take into account when developing your program is to make it interesting to adults as well as kids. If you do events that are interestig to them, they will be come vested and take part