I have just been made the new webloos leader what do i need to know?

Ok so heres the situation. I was a scout for a long time. then i got kicked out back in the day causse i had difrences with the people from the church that it was at *not with anyone involved with the scouts that where my friends at the time but the leaders who where in scouts cause they are stubbon. but any way now i was just invited back to the scouts by one of there leaders who is one of my collage teachers. i didnt even know he went to the church until he mentioned it. But Now ive been made the weeblos leader. Its been ages since ive been in scouts and i was kinda of agoof off when i was in scouts cause of my dislike o the leaders who madelife misrible. so im prob not the best person for the job but its my chance to give sumthing back to the community and i want to help out so as a new leader who prob lacks at the very basic things i need to know just as ascout none the less a scout leader what do i need and need to know. any info or advice hints poineters etc. would be apreciated thanx.

Scouts is supposed to be fun. It takes dedication. You have to meet your obligations when it comes to not only showing up at meetings, but having a plan (if it is an hour meeting, you need to plan for at least 1.5hrs and have a back up). If it is not fun for you, it will be a disaster for the boys you serve. What happen in the past is the past. You can learn from it, but just dwelling on it does no good. So before you go to training, etc. you have to ask yourself, is this for me. The tone of your post comes across as if you have been drafted into service. If you don't come willingly and positively, you will fail, no matter how much training, pointers, etc you get. The boys will pick up quickly on a negative emotion.

Training, Round Table, Pow Wow, go online and find meeting plans, discuss at RT with fellow leaders what works, what doesn't.

good luck

Welcome New Leader!

1st thing you need to do is learn to spell Webelos! :) Thats a joke! I think all new leaders do that, Look at the Uniform thread for more info on this. WE'll BE Loyal Scouts. (Thanks sctmom)

Either get the Scouting magazine and follow the program help or you can purchase the program helps at your scout shop. Follow the program help I know some of the posters here do not like the program help, but when I was a den leader, I thought the boys would be bored with this stuff, I can do better, I spent at least 6 hours week trying to put together a program that was already done for me and once I started using it the Scouts really thought it was FUN. I thought some of it was to easy or corny for my guys, once I started using it I cut down to just one hour a week! ;) You can tweak the program help by putting in some other things that you want to do.

Whenever the den had a project to do I made one before the meeting so I knew that the project would work.

The scouts really love outings, do as many as you can.

Yes, get training as soon as you can, but do not wait the program should be going now, jump in get your feet wet, You will make mistakes, learn from them are keep on trucking.

Read the Webelos book, and follow it, Get a leader book and read that also keep them both handy for reference.

Let us know how it going!

There are many awesome resources online that may help you. Please feel free to check out http://webelos.org/t276/webelos/ or http://insanescouter.com/t276/webelos/'>http://insanescouter.com/t276/webelos/ both point to the same site. InsaneScouters Webelos section is loaded with ideas for you as a leader, what to do with the den at den meeting, as well as a lot of other information. Hope this helps.

InsaneScouter

http://insanescouter.com

My advise to you is to not get distracted by the activity pins. Keep in mind that they are a means to an end which is moving the boys to a Boy Scout troop. In order to make that transition successful the boys need to work on their arrow of light which just requires 8 pins and only 3 are required. So introduce about 1 badge a month and focus on these other items in your den.

1) Moving the boys from looking towards their parents for advancement and to others by you or your assitant(s) signing off on requirements.

2) Visit and camp with as many troops as possible as many times a possible.

3) Use the Boy Scout Law and Promise in your den meetings.

My advise is in addition to all of the training you can get along with any resources you can get. And last of all do not forget the following KISMIF (Keep It Simple Make It Fun).