Finally have this figured out (I think)

I read the 2 post prior to mine wrong. I read them as the leader ws to demonstrate the knots and tell the Scouts what they are to be used for. Maybe I should make sure I am fully awake before I read anything.

For the Scouts in my den, I am going to have them make the knot for me or one of the other helpers and tell us it is used for. My son, on the other hand, had to be able to remember them. He practices everynight and my brother teaches him a new knot each time he is over.

Katrina

• 1 month later...

Leftie, Rightie, whatever... IT DOESN'T MATTER! Our job is to help the Cubs learn to tie the knot successfully, however they accomplish it!

For example, I'd hope that everyone knows that there's at least two very different ways to make a reef knot (the shoelace knot) - one is by making one loop and wrapping the other lace around it, and another is by making two loops and tying one over the other, a lot like the "top knot." Different kids will have better success one way or the other, but both methods will succeed in tying the SAME knot!

Most kids do pretty well tying a bowline with the "rabbit and hole" story. A clove hitch can use the "two loops" method, but that only works if you can put it over the end of a pole; otherwise you'll need to learn the "two wraps" method. SO WHAT?!!

Personally, it's much more difficult for me to tie shoes with the "two loops" method because I learned the other way. But when I'm trying to help a child learn a new skill and I see they're having trouble, I always try to show them another way to do the same task, hoping the change will make it easier for them to learn the skill.

Of course, some things are a "MUST" - like "only ONE person in the 'axe yard' when using an axe! Everyone else OUT!" (Yes, that's Boy Scouts, not Cubs, but it's meant as an example of an "absolute must.")

Red rope, Blue Rope; Right Hand, Left Hand; One Loop, Two Loops, WHATEVER! Just remember we're trying to help our kids learn to do something for themselves. As long as they accomplish the task correctly and safely, we did our job.

There's lots of different ways to get to the same end. Don't get hung up on "the proper way" to tie a knot; whether it's "right over left, then left over right" or "left over right, then right over left" it still comes out a square knot. As long as it's not a "granny knot" or a "thief's knot" then the Cub did the "proper" thing! GREAT for them! And good for us, for helping them learn to tie it.

Remember why we're here. If the kids don't learn because of our (leaders') inflexibility, it's the kids who lose out. Success is fun; failure is not. If it's not fun, the Cubs won't come back! But when they learn something in Cub Scouts, and then go to school and tell their friends how much fun they had, you start seeing new faces in the pack and dens. Everyone Wins!

If it's fun, they will come! If it's not, then WHY are we here?

Howard Dingman

CM, Pack 212

ASM, Troop 212

http://www.troop212.com

One of the easiest, most effective ways a Cub leader can correctly teach knot-tying is to have a Boy Scout do it. (grin) Seriously, don't overlook this avenue, and it's *so* consistent with the Aims & Methods (more later.)

Knots themselves are intrinsically interesting to only a very few, so put effort into giving the boys a reason to learn them, opportunity to practice them, and plenty of opportunity to be recognized for success. Tie-in (no pun) to skills-demonstrations to your pack, or competition w/other dens or w/in the den. Do a "knot relay" - two teams, members of each team tie the required knot in sequence to form one long rope. Or you can have 'em tie at the same time to see which finishes first. Or call-out a knot at random, and allow boys to help one another - builds team spirit, and recognizes the ones who learned it quicker. Or have the boys run to a location (hitching cross-bar? post stuck in the ground?), tie a knot, have the watching adult approve the knot, untie, run back. Tie-in to the rescue activity - boys must tie-together short ropes to make a rope sufficiently long to throw to your victim. Have 'em setup temporary shelters w/tarps for fun - or an overnight campout. Figure out a way that the boys must tie knots and use rope to get their snack! Have 'em build catapults and toss tennis balls at a target!

The two-color rope approach has seemed to help my scouts, mostly because they begin to "see" how the knot is structured. Cub Scouts are beginning to see and use structure. (Ever notice how teenagers seem to love games w/complex rules?)

Remember that knot-tying is not the real goal - it's just the context in which to achieve the Aims of Scouting. It's part of the Program, which is a Method of Scouting. We're not producing knot-tying wizards, we're growing each boy's self-confidence through a learning activity. We're developing social skills through interaction with caring, supportive adult (and Boy Scout) role models and their peers. And we're making it FUN to keep him coming back!

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I would first like to apologize to everyone who has ben waiting on the stories. My brother was supposed to write them down for me and he hasn't yet. I will bug him next time I talk to him about them.

Katrina