Meetings- how often?

I would like for our pack to meet at least 3 times a month with the fourth week being our pack meeting. But the rest of the dens only meet 2 times a month with the third meeting being the pack meeting. My husband is the leader and he thinks 3 times a month would be too much. It hard to get a routine with the boys when we only see them twice a month in a den setting.

Routine, Routine - Kids and parent remember things that are consistent. We have our meeting for 3 week the fourth is our pack night. We do have one patrol in our pack that has only 2 meeting for 11/2 hr. Their involvement in the pack is lower then everyone else and they dont attend any of the extra activities. I really feel the scouts are losing out on this. Weather its from lack of parent involvement or they dont feel a commitment to the pack. We have had excellent attendant from the boys and Dens that meet on a regular basis.

Our pack has a history of den meetings twice a month, each one hour long and the pack meeting once a month. Some dens have meet every week, except the week of the pack meeting and they really liked doing that (the parents and the boys liked it). I have try to have the boys meet every week. Since we meet on a Monday, we have some weeks that are hard to do like Labor day. Also, our school is on a new schedule where the kids have a week off every few months. A lot of the kids (mine included) go out of town that week -- family vacation, visit relatives, etc. So we don't meet on that month.

Three den meetings a month is NOT too much. Cub Scouts has been meeting weekly for many, many decades. It has worked. Go for it.

Hate to be picky, BUT let's all get our terminology straight. Cub Scouts belong to "dens" (one age group) that meet together once a month as "packs". Boy Scouts belong to "patrols" that come together as a "troop". Girl Scouts belong to "troops" from the day they join. They may or may not have "patrols".

I think I am going to send a letter out to the parents (or call them, but I have a hard time reaching them) and pole them and see how they would like to do this. My son would go for once a week as he loves the program, but I guess I should let the boys and parents decide how they want to do this. They have been used to 2 den meetings a month for all previous years. Hopefully they will be up to trying something new.

Here's my vote for weekly den meetings. I've set it up that there's a Bear den meeting (in the art room at 3:30) every Monday that school is in session. No problem remembering what week the den is meeting. No not seeing a boy for a month if he misses one meeting. I know that not every leader can meet right after school, but I recommend it for those that can.

For the most active den, to keep the lost of Scouts to a minimum and to allow all the Scouts a chance to work on things in the den. I recommend that you hold a meeting every week that you do not have a Pack meeting. I have tried having meeting only a few weeks a month and making sure everybody is on the same schedule is very hard.

In the interests of consistency, weekly meetings work best. Our Tigers used to meet twice a month plus the Pack meeting, now they also meet weekly. For them, it's only an hour a week. For leaders it's more than that, but it's worth it. Things get done, the program runs more smoothly, the boys progress better.

Just to throw a spanner in the works: Do you realize that your den does not have to meet on the same day as the Pack meeting occurs? This is especially true for dens that meet in homes. A den can meet weekly (say Tuesdays), with a Pack meeting on the designated night (Monday). One can do even more fun stuff!

If I recall correctly, the den leader has the option on where the den meets. Convenience dictates meeting every Monday (for example) with the final Monday being the Pack meeting. It's not written in stone. In our Pack, I usually had the den meeting on site, but occasionally met elsewhere when necessary. Someone correct me if I am wrong, please.

Rculver, you are very right. If you look at Program Helps, it has plans for 4 den meetings a month AND a pack meeting. Tigers it has 2 den meetings, 1 field trip and 1 pack meeting. I think it depends on the families in your area. I know where I live if we had a pack meeting and a den meeting in the same week, we would only get people at one of those.

My den meets a minimum of once a week (which includes a monthly Pack meeting). However, we add on top of that visits to Troops, camp-outs, hikes, Scouting for Food, popcorn sales, and other activities. The "other activities" usually take place on the weekend. The parents and boys will let you know how you are doing by voting with their feet. If attendance falls off, your meetings need improvement.

Kittle,

Please don't "pole" the parents. That is a rather harsh and medieval punishment. I would not poll them either about how often, but I do poll them about which day of the week we should meet at the beginning of the year and then stick with it throughout the year. I've had parents that prefer to meet once a month. Compromise is not always best. Try to meet at least once a week (I do take a two week sabbatical during Christmas holidays) throughout the school year and I also meet less frequently during the summer, approx. twice a month plus residence camp. It always amazes me that when the boys have the most free time, the summer, so many Packs and dens essentially shut down.(This message has been edited by acco40)

Each month my Wolf Den participates in 2 den meetings, 1 field trip & 1 Pack Meeting. I typically do not schedule den meetings the week of a Pack Meeting or the week of a field trip. I leave Thanksgiving & Christmas Holidays alone as well Spring Break. In June & July, I try to plan at least 1 or 2 outings. By Aug. we do an end-of-summer watergun fight in my backyard & then right before school starts, we get back into the swing of regular den meetings.

I poll my parents at the beginning of the school year to see which night works best. Whatever night gets the most votes becomes our den meeting night & we stick with it. This year we had about a third of the parents needing a different night & thus we were able to set up another den.

Thanks everyone for the words of advice. I am going to stick with 2 meetings a month until January. I'll let the parents know now that I am going to change it then, that way they will have time to prepare for the change.

Katrina