Rain Forest in a Bottle

Tomorrow night my Cubs will be making the Rain Forest in a Bottle project featured in this month's Program Helps (8 OCT 2002). Among the ingredients is charcoal (finely ground). I'm having a hard time finding this in stores. I finally tried Petco, where a small box of "carbon" costs a fortune (remember, I have 14 boys & it's anyone's guess who many will show). Does anyone know if just crushing plain ol' charcoal briquettes will work for a terrarium, or should I just skip this ingredient?

Did you try a garden shop. Not one at a department or hardware store, but one that specializes in gardening supplies, that is where I got some last time I needed it. I do not know if regular charcoal will work, I think that the activated charcoal has a different structure to increase the surface area to present to the water.

I tried a local nursery this morning who referred me to the local pet store, who referred me to a couple of nurseries across town that "might" have what I need. I'm at a point where I don't want to spend an hour or two driving all over for just charcoal dust.