Need Advices or Reviews on Pinewood Derby Track

Dear Scouters,

Our Pack just recently elected to buy a new track, replacing an old wooden track that has been warped badly. I am looking for any previous experiences with aluminum track (by Best Track) or the plastic track (by Super Track)or should we stick to the traditional wooden track (storing is a problem for us ... expecially in the humid Houston environment). Any advice, review, feedback is greatly appreciated. We have gathered enough money to purchase a track this year! Thank you in advance.

Yis

We purchased a track from an oar company up north somewhere. Found them by searching for tracks on the internet. It is made from solid hardwoods and has good instructions and quality. We have only used it once and it was nice. I am looking forward to seeing how it will be after a year in storage following their suggestions.

Sheila

You might consider renting the track instead of buying it. There are several troops in my area that provide a complete rental deal: track, computer, race management software (including each lane timed to the 1/100th of a second), personnel, set-up and tear-down. While it costs a little money, it's less than buying, it reinforces impartiality, and there's no storage problem.

When I was Cubmaster, we bought our new one from Piantadosi Oar Co (other poster mentioned them, may have spelled the name wrong). Absolutely first rate workmanship, quality, etc. I'm telling you, these people really care about wht they're doing. Beautiful track. I know the rental advocates make a strong argument, but I like having your own track if you have storage room. We've set ours up at Scout shows, Roundups, loaned it to Awana, let Scouts use it for science projects, etc. All tough to do if you rent...

KS

Thanks for all the great advices. We are set on purchasing a new track. We had a hand made 6 lanes track that one of our parents built six years ago. The Houston humidity took its toll on the track. Two of the six lanes are somewhat warped ... the cars jumped track every time they hit those bumps. The committee elected to sale it cheap to a new Pack who can't afford the new one. We sold it for $150 for what essentially a 4 lanes track, came complete with timer and laptop for result. The equivalent will cost about $1000 easily.

We raised enough during the past two popcorn sales to cover our annual expenses and for the new track. It came down to aluminum track or the plastic track. I don't have much feedback on the pluses and minuses. Need someone who has these types of tracks feedback and advices. Any gotchas? Any regrets? Any good stories? Anything.

We know what a wooden track will do. Pinderossi is one of the best ... and we would love to go with it; however, the storage issue still looms. Thank you in advance for any feedback.

YIS