I have a 3rd grader who wanted to try cub scouting...so tonight was the sign up meeting. I find out that the former cub master is going on with his sons into boy scouts.

The problem that arose is this, the man has been doing EVERYTHING for the pack above the den leaders positions, because no parents wanted the positions. I was informed over the phone that if his position isnt filled, the pack most probably will be disolved. What a shame!

Being the compassionate soul I am, and not wanting the approximately 30 boys to go without,I said I'd take the job.

I have two den leaders with 1 yr experience. Luckily, there are two new parents willing to act as comitee members.

The former cub master was not well organized, or very imaginative about his meetings, and activities. So most of the boys too, are brand new.

I've explored numerous sites getting my bearings as to whats going to be expected, took the fast training, and gathered lots of information about the meetings, and activities suggested on the sites.

What I'd like to know is. What things have you more experienced Cub masters found to be the more popular among the boys? Are the elaborate ceremonies generally enjoyed? What events, or activities have you found that seem to excite the most interest? I want to be the best Cub Master I can be. So any advise anyone may have, on any subject of concern will be greatly appreciated.

Are you tired of reading yet? hahaha...

I also took over from a Cubmaster who was unorganized and didn't keep the leadership infomed. That said you have a wonderful opportunity. Remember that you will get far more out of the job than you put in.

First take all the training you can this also includes the other leaders (Den and Committee).

Discuss everything you can with all of your leaders - it is not a one man job.

Ceremonies and traditions. Are they important and do the boys enjoy them? You bet they do. Don't be afraid to start your own traditions. I started a birthday hat tradition in our Pack - each month at the Pack meeting after the opening I call each boy who had a b-day that month up front. They each get to reach into the special hat bag and pick out a silly hat to wear. The whole Pack sings happy birthday and they boys get to wear their hats for the rest of the meeting. When we award rank we have ceremonies that include putting face paint on the boys - they love that also. Our graduation ceremonies are done on a year end family campout during the campfire. My advice is to keep the boys active and outdoors as much as possible and they will have fun.

I could go on and on but the job isn't rocket science. Just do your best, get the parents and leaders involved and have fun.

YIS

Paul

Congratulations! You've done a great thing for your son and all the other boys in his pack. I, too, became a Cubmaster unexpectedly and found it to be an extremely rewarding experience. The most important thing I can recommend is more TRAINING - New Leader Essentials and Leader Specific ASAP. You'll be amazed at the increase in your comfort level. And encourage the other leaders to attend with you - it'll build team spirit.

"What things have you ... found to be the more popular among the boys?"

Noise. Boys like to make noise and there aren't many places that it's allowed. I taught them silly songs and cheers using posterboard with the words. I also used audience participation stories with great success.

"Are the elaborate ceremonies generally enjoyed?"

I don't know about elaborate. I had a simple ceremony for rank advancement at each pack meeting, which they enjoyed, especially those that involved fire (candles), especially if they got to start the fire.

"What events, or activities have you found that seem to excite the most interest?"

Number 1 all-time favorite is pinewood derby. But they also enjoyed sledding, bowling, hiking, basically any physical activity. Outdoor bonfires are also very popular.

You've got the right attitude and your pack is lucky to have you! Check-in and let us know how you're doing and good luck!

(This message has been edited by CubsRgr8)

I'm not a cubmaster but here is my two cents worth.

Have fun! The boys will notice if you do or not.

Delegate. Use those other parents.

Do the silly songs at pack meetings and the silly relay games. Get the leaders and parents to play also. Sing songs that make everyone stand up. Grand Ol' Duke of York is one of my favorites.

Go outdoors. Pack camping is lots of fun. Find out about family camping your district and council have. Find out about parades the pack can be in. Our pack rides bikes in 2 parades each year.

Get a copy of Program Helps for all the leaders.

Then go to www.cubmaster.org and look at Baloo's Bugle. It is a monthly newsletter based on the theme of the month in Program Helps. It also has ideas for Pack meetings.

Alternate quiet and noisy activities in the pack meetings. Boys want to YELL and make NOISE! Let them.

We had a great resource in our pack the last couple of years -- a school teacher. She could get the attention of the boys and they would never know she just "tricked" them into being quiet. We all would stare in amazement at her and try to learn from her. She would have the boys repeat the name of the game we were about to play until everyone was looking at her and saying it. To get them quiet she would clap her hands high and loud, then low and soft. The boys would clap with her. Start with your hands up near your head and then clap below your waist. Each time get your hands closer to together, and get quieter and quieter. It works.

Another noisy/quiet trick. Take your neckerchief or a hat and throw it in the air. When it is in the air everyone is to yell, laugh or stomp their feet. When it hits the floor, they have to be quiet. It gets that energy out of the boys.

Have the dens do skits, even very short ones.

A few things I've heard lately from other Cubmasters:

Have every boy in front of the audience at every pack meeting. If nothing other than to say "Billy has been coming to every meeting. Let's give him a round of applause."

Be organized. One lady I know said she had a clipboard for each den. On that clipboard she would put handouts and any last minute information the leaders needed to know for the Pack meeting. The den leaders would give the handouts to the parents and take attendance. Families not there would be mailed the handouts.

Have the dens take turns doing the opening Flag ceremony. The boys love that. We also have the boys do the flag ceremony for PTA meetings. If it is the PTA night for the 3rd graders, then the 3rd graders do the flag ceremony. They are there anyway.

Okay I guess that was more like a nickel's worth not two cents. Good luck. Have FUN! And post here often.

Okay, I did this job for a couple of years and I definitely have some opinions. However, it appears that you are not in the same position I was in (well established pack with lots of parent support). Any way, here's my advice:

1) GET A VOLUNTEER to be Committee Chair. I know no one stepped forward and you're stepping forward, but you can't do everything. Get someone to step up to be CC. Otherwise, I think you'll either burn out or run a program that's not really what it should be.

2) After you find a volunteer for CC, look for more volunteers. The point is, don't give upalways keep looking. The more help the better.

Okay, now for the Cubmaster stuff:

1) Keep control of your monthly pack meeting. Don't let the boys (or their families) go berserk. Get the leaders and parents to help you keep control. Emphasize that there are proper time to laugh and proper times to be serious.

2) Set up tables so that everyone can get a good view of what is going on up front.

3) Have the parents and leaders sit behind the boys. This serves two purposes - boys view is not blocked, and - the adults can monitor and keep control better.

4) Make sure that the meeting is started properly with a serious flag ceremony. Rotate this job between the dens - month to month.

5) Don't be the only person standing up front. Get other adults to help you do the announcements, ceremonies, etc.

6) Buy a cheap sound system if you canYou can get an amplifier, microphone, and some cheap speakers for under $200. It will allow you to speak and be heard. It will aid the boys who like to speak into their shirts. Also, if you have the funds, find one with a tape player. This allows you to liven up some skits and ceremonies with music or something else.

7) When the boys do a skit, insist that they speak loudly (especially if you don't have a sound system). If they start off soft, then stop the skit (without a big fuss) and ask them to speak louder. Otherwise, most will not understand what is going on.

8) If your pack has some money, invest it in some Indian regalia. It will make those ceremonies more special

9) Script out the ceremonies in advance and know them well. Don't fly by the seat of your pants. Everyone will be able to tell and the ceremony will not come off as being special.

10) Try to keep all skits, songs, ceremonies, etc. short. Remember kids have short attention spans.

11) I'm not a song guyBut if you do them, make sure you have handouts with the words and try to use popular songs. Find someone who will get up front and lead loudly and without shame ;)

12) Get the boys to do their den cheers at the beginning the meeting. Find a gimmick to get them into it. I used a Spirit Stick. It was a walking stick, which was given to the loudest den. That den got to decorate it with their mark (I drilled holes in the stick)They would attach a piece of string with something on it (i.e., beads, pictures, wooden numbers, etc.) which represented their den. I awarded the stick at the end of the meeting. I got it back prior to the next pack meeting. Stick looked pretty cool by the end of the year.

13) Try to show enthusiasm throughout the entire meeting.

14) I did at least two leader skits each year. It gave the boys the opportunity to see a skit done right. Also, it enabled the boys the chance to laugh at their leaders.

15) If there are a lot of awards (arrows, belt loops, etc.), don't let every boy talk about every award. For example, Den #5 has six boys. Each has earned the baseball loop, four have earned soccer loop, two have earned biking loop, and one has earned an academic loop. Pick one boy for each loop to speak one or two sentences about what they did. In other words, just four speakers - NOT 13. Better yet, tell the den leader to find four boys and ask her/him to make sure they have something to say.

16) Try to keep the meeting to 90 minutes or less (i.e., start at 7:00 and end by 8:30).

17) We awarded the best looking uniform each month. Each den was asked to send one representative forward. They lined up front and all the boys were congratulated for being such a great example to the pack. However, and all of the boys and parents were warned about this, we would only be recognizing one boy as being the best. We asked a neutral party (i.e., a guest from our sister troop) to be the judge and kept the judging down to one minute (no quizzing of the boys was allowed). In other words, a quick and painless decision. The guest would tell me and I would make the announcement. This boy was given a special neckerchief slide to wear for one month. It worked well as long as you (the Cubmaster) gave disclaimers and ensured the process went quickly and without unnecessary angst (i.e., don't let the judge drag his feet or "interrogate" the boys). I like it, but you need to be careful or it could become a sore point for some boys and parents.

18) Rotate assignments for the dens - skit, song, opening, closing, cake raffle, clean up, etc.

19) Some packs like to end with the flags being retired. I liked to close the meeting with a prayer. This was an assignment that got rotated between the dens.

20) Keep special events in mind. If there is something unusual planned for a pack meeting (guest speaker, boy & buddy bake off, etc.), remember to arrange your meeting so that you are not there all night. You may have to cut out some of the normal stuff.

For your reference, the following is an agenda for a meeting we did a few years back. If you like, I can send you a year's worth of agendas, some Indian regalia ceremonies, and some leader skits.

October Pack Meeting

Setup - Den #4

Cakes - Den #8 (den brought them for raffling)

Don (Assistant CM) asks the audience to sit and be quiet.

Leader of the Pack Skit - Mike (CM), Tim H., & Boy Scouts (Leader of the Pack/Born to be Wild - music for skit) After skit - Mike, Tim H., and Scouts leave on bikes.

Mike prompts Den #5 to get into position for the opening. Ask the audience to be quiet for the opening flag ceremony.

Opening Flags - Den #5

Introduce New Leaders (Dee, etc.) - Mike

Den Cheers (point stick)/Hand Ribbons To Denners - Mike

(Mike, Tim H., and Don leave to change into Indian costumes for Bobcat ceremony)

Stunt - Den #10 (Dee Introduces)

Song - Den #2 (Dee Introduces)

Note to Dee, please leave microphone stand and microphone up front by the stage for the Bobcat ceremony.

Bobcat Ceremony (Indian costumes [3]; script; drums [2]; 2 den chiefs to beat the drums; paint [2 of each] - blue, yellow, white, red, green; badges; safety pins; brushes?). - Mike, Tim H., Don

Pin Bobcat Badges on Upside-down - Mike, Tim H., Don, Tim

(Mike & Don change back into uniforms)

Sports & Academic Loops & Pins (SEE AWARDS LIST) - Dee

Cheer - Dee

Webelos Pins (SEE AWARDS LIST) - Mike

Raffle Cakes - Dee

Other Awards (SEE AWARDS LIST) - Mike

Skit - Den #3 (Mike).

Uniform Inspection - Mike (Karl, SM from sister troop, will do the judging - 1 minute or less please).

Any Cakes Leftover? Raffle more cakes - Dee

Award Spirit Stick - Mike

Closing/Prayer - Den #5

Clean Up - Den #9

Rooster, I like the idea of a closing. Much better than "okay, that's all".

The microphone is also good for the Leaders who speak into their shirts. I've seen leaders stand in front of the boys, with their backs to the audience as they "announced" the awards. No one had a clue what was going on, so why bother.

If one kid earns a lot of belt loops at one time, I just give a summary of what he earned "Bobby has been busy and earned a lot of belt loops including bicycling, chess, swimming and bunch more!" No need to list 10 things, they get the point, the boy earned some stuff.

Rooster, I like your agenda. It does the alternating between quiet and noisy.

When boys do skits, don't be afraid to have them read from their notes. This isn't drama class and sometimes they need their notes in their hands. If I have new boys who are terrified to be up front, I give them a non-speaking part at first. Amazing how those guys can be SO loud when you don't want them to, then in front of the pack they whisper.

Another thought, if you have a leader with a poster explaining something like popcorn sales, make sure they write large letters with a magic marker so everyone can read it from across the room. I've seen people try to hold up a poster about something that was so small and light you could not see it.

We meet in a school cafeteria. We use the layout like the one in the Cub Scout Leader's handbook. Arrange the tables in a U shape. The boys sit inside the U. The parents behind them. The boys sit by den and rank. It is a big deal to move from the Tiger table to the Wolf table each year. Then suddenly one day you are over at the Webelos II table wondering what happened and grinning like a goofy old person at "those cute little tigers". :)

"If one kid earns a lot of belt loops at one time, I just give a summary of what he earned "Bobby has been busy and earned a lot of belt loops including bicycling, chess, swimming and bunch more!" No need to list 10 things, they get the point, the boy earned some stuff. "

Years ago, our pack made a policy of awarding no more than two belt loops to any boy at any pack meeting with two exceptions. Any number earned during the Summer would be awarded in September and if the Den Leader fouled up and forgot to submit a boy this month, he could get all of them next month.

Why? Because we noticed that many boys and Den Leaders were concentrating on belt loops and not advancement. Come May, we'd have all these belt loop kings who hadn't made rank with a sudden flurry of activity in the last month.

Thanks for volunteering!

1 Go get trained

2 Use and encourage your Den Leaders to use the Cub Scout resources; The Cub Scout Leader Handbook, Program Helps, The How-To Book, Pack and Den Ceremonies, Tge Cub Scout Song Book, The webekos Leader Handbook, all the Cub Handbooks by rank.

3 Sit down with the two committee members and the head of the charter organization let them know they need to have a committee chair and a charter organization representative and that they need to choose them. (It is not your job responsibility or within your authority.)

4 Select fun den leaders (you cant have to many)

5 There is no such thing as too well planned.

have fun,

Bob White

Thank you all for such good responses. They've reinfiorced for me that the ideas I've been playing with in my head are right on track.

I was thinking of having the dens themselves tell me what types of things they'd like to do at the meetings. Then using thier ideas to schedule what will happen. I dont want to "make" them do skits for example, if thats not the type of thing they like to do.I myself play the guitar, and I like to sing, but the last thing I'd want is to try a singalong, and have half of them actually participating. Make sense?

It's thier meeting, so I like the idea of them deciding what kinds of thing we'll do. Specially considering that 24 hrs ago, becoming a scout leader was the farthest thing from my mind.

Any suggestions on what I should do if I cant get any further volunteers for the missing positions? The response i was getting last night makes me think I've got plenty of den level volunteers, but nothing beyond that.

Im really excited to get started, but I'm still unsure where to start exactly.

Fortunately for everyone involved theres a second meeting planned for this tuesday again, as a pack. Im thinking that its probably a little early with the current level of disorganization, to do inductions yet, bit I'd would like to do introductions of leaders and new cubs as well as the experienced ones at least, and start the actuall regular pack meetings the next time. Does this seem like a valid idea, or not?

The first meeting is a Pack Meeting and Pack Meetings are for the boys. Nothing will bore the boys faster than a meeting without goofiness, laughter, noise, etc. In other words, from the first meeting on, make it fun by using skits, run-ons, knock-knock jokes, and/or etc! And if you like to sing - sing! Just make sure the lyrics are goofy, the parents know the tune (Jingle Bells, et al), and the words are printed on posterboards, held up in front by some of the boys.

Hi Michael ... I would have to say that I envy you for having a Pack of 30. I, on the other hand, have a Pack of 120+ (we picked up 48 last recruiting effort!). For a small Pack of 30, I think it's easier to manage and have fun ... ie. games. Have the parents involved in the meeting (call them up to join in). When the boys see their parents having fun, you bet that they will join in. Do songs ... silly songs ... especially with you playing the guitar. Do skits ... fun skits. I know that BSA is trying to be political correct, but there are politically correct skits out there that all the boys love to do. Like I say ... if you and your Den leaders take the lead (perform a skit) ... the kids will follow. I know ... I have 120+ boys and well over 150 parents! Key thing is to plan, KISMIF (keep it simple, make it fun), plan, plan, and plan. Did I mention plan ahead? Get yourself an agenda. Have Plan A and then Plan B. Share it with your Assistant Cubmaster or Committee Chair, 'cause if you happen to be called away to work or what have you, at least someone else can follow your lead.

Don't overly do it with recognition ... this drags! Bring in guest speakers. Last night Pack meeting, I got the local Sheriff Depart to bring in the K-9 Blood Hound units ... needless to say ... "it was awesome!" in the words of one of my Tigers. Bring in speakers that would help them on their achievements as well... firefighters, gamewarden with his traveling reptiles show, the "mad scientist" from the local Chemical Plant (perform safe experiment of course), the kids' principal (Webelos' Citizenship pin, Bear's), local University robotic professor with his toy robots, local town heroes (veterans), etc.... The list goes on. It doesn't take much to keep them amused and interested.

If your Pack gets rowdy ... have a grab bag full of junk toys from MacDonald's Happy Meal (in the plastic of course) (collect 'em from parents or MacDonald's ... I fairly certain that there are parents who will do anything to get rid off those toys), buy 'em from the $1 Stores, buy 'em for clearance, etc. Announce that you have a spy (a parent) to determine which is the best behaved den. At the end of the Pack meeting, have your spy announce the winner. You'll see how quickly they quite down.

Sample Agenda:

1) Gathering activities (we don't get to do this ... it's simply a logistic nightmare for us), but it does work well in the small size environment).

2) Colors (start on time ... 7:00pm means 7:00pm ... whether you have 5 boys or 30 boys ... the others will realize (esp. the parents) the requirement for punctuality quickly). (2 minutes)

3) Cubmaster Minute (something inspirational for them to think about ... either here or at the end of the Pack Meeting)(1 minute)

4) Announcements first (get those out of the way. They are boring and you won't have many chances!) Keep them short. If you have alot to say, split them... half up front and half before closing. (no more than 2 minutes)

5) Songs or Skits (assign the Den duties for the year, so they know when they are up to bat ... allowing them chance to prepare themselves). Remember songs and skits are achievements or electives as well! (5 minutes)

6) Games or Guest Speaker(s). If it is a games, have the parents involved. I do let the Speaker know ahead of time that I will signal him/her the amount of time that he/she has left to wrap up the presentation. If you don't you will almost always run over! (15-20 minutes)

7) Awards (for us ... it's by Rank. I would call all Tigers up front ... 20 of 'em. My ACM announces their name while I hand them their awards and shake their hands). They get a kick out of me telling 'em a joke while I shake their hands ... the parents don't hear us, but up on the stage the boys do. I do try to learn all of their names (I'm up to about 96 out of 120 ... it's the new Dens that I have trouble with) and believe it or not they do appreciate it. Each Den will have a Denner to stand in front of the Crowd and tells about his Den activities for the month (a new Denner from each Den each month). At the end of the award, I would have a "Cheer" box (yes ... the Cheer soap box full of laminated cheers) in front for the Denner to choose a cheer. He and his Den do their cheers in front of the Pack. This is a sure winner! (20 minutes - 30 minutes total ... shorten this if you have a long game or speaker. Present only belt loops and pins for example. Save everything for the Den level (instant beads etc)).

Have a run-on (a joke assigned to a Den) between Ranks. I usually have two to break the monotony.

8) Final Announcement or Cubmaster Minute. (1-2 minutes)

9) Closing ... retire the colors (1 minute)

... and that should take you all about an hour! Keep it to the clock or else you'll loose them. By keeping it fast moving, they won't be bored ... and don't forget to let loose, relax and be a kid!

Have Community Services as part of the Pack Meeting. For example, every December Pack meeting we have a toy drive for the local Women Shelter and had a blast with Santa Clause and his bags full of Chocolate. What I trying to illustrate is that don't just doing the same thing over and over again. Keep it evergreen and ever changing. This is what the boys come to. Before my tenure, my previous predecessors (two of Cubmasters) kept it the same ... long meetings (1.5+ hour) with endless awards, with song, and skits ... half way through the Pack meeting the kids got bored. Our attendance rate was about 45-50% (which is still big ... ~50-60 kids). I got on board by accident, but I changed things. Make it more fun. Now, I'm proud to say that we have about 60-80% attendance rate (during sport season) and full attendance at major events Pinewood Derby, Blue and Gold, and Graduation (for obvious reasons).

By the way, keep the rank advancement to Blue & Gold and have a grand, memorable ceremony for them!

There are so many other tips and tricks that it could take days for me to write since I type Columbus style (...discover as you hit). Email me and I will continue.

As for help, have a "Parents" meeting and lay out the facts. The fact is that this is a community effort and everyone will help. You and others who are volunteering don't get pay and need all the help. BSA does not stand for (Babysitting Services of America). Approach them with what you want for them to do (be prepare to tell them what needs to be done and what it will take to get it done) and tell them that you need their help. Don't ask "I need a volunteer, who will do it?" (99.9% of the time you will get no reply!) When you approach them, it's harder for them to refuse. If they give you their sobbing stories ... let them know that you are in the same boat. If they can't help regularly, draft them for onesey, twoseys.

This will be too late for tonight meeting, but I wouldn't just intro everyone. Have at least a game in place, a song (song sheet)(do the "God Bless My Underwear" ... it will always get 'em going ... make sure that it's okay ... because BSA deemed that it's not politically correct.) Have a quick skit with the parents!

http://www.scoutorama.com/

The introduction can be made during your Committee meeting or "Parents" meeting.

Well this has been long enough. Good luck. It's really rewarding to see a smile on a kid's face and you know that you have made a difference in one's life. By the way, I'm giving up my Cubmastership this March as well..., but I have been grooming my successor and the rest of the Pack!

YIS,

Long

Congrats on volunteering! You'll get out of it a lot more than you will ever be able to put in (and trust me, you can put in a LOT!)

Committee Meetings: Don't do everything yourself. Delegate as much as possible to other leaders and parents. We like to start out the year by planning who will chair the different activities throughout the year. Everyone has to do something. Some will do more than their share. Make sure that there are co-chairs for activities (especially if the leader/parent's child is a Webelos and will be graduating with their son).

Pack Meetings: Keep it Fun! At each Committee Meeting we plan the next Pack Meeting (at least). Each den has to do something. Setup, Opening, Skits, Songs, Closing, Cleanup. Always keep a song or something in your back pocket to add to the meeting. We don't do big ceremonies for regular awards (activity pins, Tiger beads, arrow points, etc.) but always for major rank advancements (Tiger, Bobcat, Wolf, Bear, Webelos, AOL).

Ceremonies: Most of the rank advancements happen at the Blue & Gold banquet in February. The Webelos II's get to pick the theme for this night as this is their big night crossing over into Boy Scouts. June was always the time when we had Tigers cross over into Cub Scouts with their square patch but since the Tigers now get a diamond patch like the other ranks and can earn their Bobcat after their Tiger rank we include the Tiger rank at the Blue & Gold and cross the Tigers into Cubs with the Bobcat in June. We usually have one or two Bobcat ceremonies at the beginning of the year for all of the new (non-Tiger) scouts in the pack.

Did I mention have fun? Go to roundtables for ideas. Get ideas here and elsewhere on the web. Get the parents involved. Get as much training as you can. Get the boys outdoors as much as possible. Don't take yourself too seriously. Have fun!

"Most of the rank advancements happen at the Blue & Gold banquet in February. "

Please notice the word "most". If a boy earns his rank next week (in October), DO NOT wait until February to award it. Have his den leader recognize him at the next den meeting and then award it at the VERY next pack meeting.

On the other side of that coin, DO NOT give out awards that have not been earned. It hurts the boy you gave it to.

Sctmom is correct. Rank advancement can be at any time after the scout has completed the achievements. For us (a huge Pack), we like to give the boys a grand ceremony ... nothing short of a momentous occasion. So we elected to have all rank advancement at B&G where 120+ boys can participate with his parents in the ceremony. If I were to have a small Pack, I would have many ceremonies .... ceremonies are the traditional Cub Scout way! : )

"For us (a huge Pack), we like to give the boys a grand ceremony ... nothing short of a momentous occasion. So we elected to have all rank advancement at B&G where 120+ boys can participate with his parents in the ceremony"

Has anyone ever tried giving the boy his badge when earned and then recognizing him again at the B&G?

The reason I ask is after learning that in troops, the badges "should" be given as soon as possible after being earned and then the boy is recognized at the next Court of Honor. Why wouldn't that work for Cub Scouts? Maybe giving the parent's pin at that time.

For Cub Scouts it is a lifetime between now and February, shoot Christmas is ages away! They want to wear that badge and show off.