Lets talk about bead recognition/incentive systems

I'm try to research the idea of using a "bead" incentive/recognition system for our scout troop. I am told that this is a long standing tradition stretching back to Lord Baden-Powell. I am looking for information to the following questions:

1. What type of program does your group use?

2. Where to you purchase supplies?

3. Can you describe your program - namely for what activities you you make awards?

4. Do you have a "patrol" level recognition/incentive program that supplements your individual scout incentive program?

Appreciate your thoughts.

There is a bead recognition program for scouts working on First Class that gives them a bead for each rank requirement they complete. each rank has a different color bead and they hang from a leather patch on the uniform belt.

The Boy Scout Handbook has the requirements for an award that recognizes patrols that make an effort to be the best possible patrol. It is called "National Honor Patrol Award" and is found on page 23.

Bob(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I doubt it is really worth it. Most of the youth that I know will not be interested in beads or wearing them. Maybe the younger scouts would appreciate them, but not above First Class. Granted this is from my experiences of being fairly young (19).

The best thing are troop did was get one of those big advancement posters and colored in the little squares for each rank requirement.

The Scouts use this to keep tabs on eachother and give eachother a hard time. Not sure if that is what Scouting is all about but it works.

I look forward to hearing if beads actually work in other troops?

Dan Williams

For our summer camp new scout program, beads are issued upon comprehension of fundamental skills. We stress that a scout understands he is actually LEARNING to earn that bead, not just having a book signed by a leader. Many other new scout programs use similar systems at camp (i.e. neckercheif stamping, walking stick marks, etc.)

Any craft store or hobby shop could order large amounts of beads for you.

My biggest concern with a bead system is to make sure the objective of scouting isn't lost in the process of hoarding beads. Some scouts may get bead happy and neglect their actual skills. This is when the program turns out eagles who cannot tie a bowline. Monitor your program carefully, and I'm sure you will do a fine job.

Have a great day.

--Jeremy

My unit used beads to identify activities more than acheivements. For example, black for bad weather at a campout, white if it snow (this can happen in Minnesota), blue if the weather was good. We had an ice blue one for winter camping.

Also there were attendance beads, green for one meeting, silver for a month, gold for a year. The system allowed some misses for good reason to still get your bead. Attendance was taken carefully, and there was no disputes.

We used a fob simular to one in the BSA catalog to wear on our belt to show our beads off.

We purchased the beads at a craft shop.(This message has been edited by shemgren)

Patrol Leader/Assistant Patrol Leader or a Patrol Member selected will track attendance and fill in the date of the meeting or campout Scout has attendant.

Patrol Leader/Assistant Patrol Leader or selected Patrol Member will notify SPL when beads are to be upgraded.

The PL/APL or person selected to track attendance will hand out White beads to the Scouts during the meeting, This will happen during the uniform inspections done by the Patrol.

Meeting beads: To be on the right side of the belt totem

White Bead for each meeting attendant, after 8 meetings trade in the 8 white beads for a silver bead

Gold bead for 16 meetings, trade in 2 silver beads for on gold

Camping beads: To be on the left side of the totem

White bead for each outing attendant, after 8 outing trade in the white beads for a Blue, after 16 outings trade in 2 blue beads for a green.

This system will track attendance at meetings and campout, a requirement requested by the BSA, and also reward the scouts with recognition of meetings

My feeling (and the one I've gotten from several Boy Scout leaders who have tried the Boy Scout bead system is that it is better suited for the Cubs. The little kids love it, but they seem to grow out of it by the time they reach Boy Scouts or soon after. Also, if the kids are active, the beads are very easy to lose.

I'm with you, Chippewa. We use the wall chart to keep tabs on progress, and just got the little brown patrol record books so the PLs know who needs what. I think the beads for advancement tracking is a Cub thing which most Boy Scouts want to leave behind once they get in their troops.

When we were in Cubs, our den tried the beads one year, the knots in the ends of the vinyl strings kept coming untied, beads cascaded all over the floor, lawn, whatever...more trouble than they're worth...one man's opinion