Went to Cub Scout leader training today. Here are the rumors I heard from the instructor. If anyone has information about these, please respond.

1) BSA is coming out with some way for Webelos to wear something on their tan uniform to show they earned the Bobcat badge. If a new Cub Scout joins as a Webelos, he gets the Bobcat badge but has no place to wear it.

2) If a boy earns the World Conservation award as a Wolf or Bear, he can NOT transfer that patch to his tan Webelos uniform.

3) There are new requirements for the Webelos to earn the World Conservation award (said it was on the national website, but I can't find it).

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard at Roundtable, that as of January 1, 2003, if you go on ANY trip outside of your regular meeting place, with the den OR pack, you MUST have a BALOO trained person along. This is NOT just for camping.

We asked questions and did not get a lot of clarification. I will continue to try to get someone to BALOO training (I would go, but my car is dead so I need to drag someone else along who can drive!). But, I will believe this, and other rumors, when I see a piece of paper from National!

Our district and council have NEVER offered Baloo training. They said "oh, we had it planned for next spring, but we are holding off until after the changes".

Sorry, I don't like this answer. Why is it other councils are offering it and insisting on it? Oh, I must be in the "special" council who doesn't have to do it. {smirk}

I don't know about the rumors 1,2 or 3 but the idea of having something to wear showing Bobcat is a good idea.

Concerning BALOO training the current course is the revamped course. I am on our Districts training team and on staff for our BALOO courses. You do need to have a BALOO trained individual on all campouts. You do not if you are not spending the night.

Our district doesn't think BALOO is good enough and doesn't offer it. Instead, all leaders are encouraged to take Outdoor Leader Training. I think there is a lot of leeway between councils and districts. Our district also expects the tigers to wear the blue uniform based on the rumor (I suppose) that when all the orange shirts are gone tigers will be in blue anyways.

Sheila

A suggestion they had for Webelos about the Bobcat was to award them the Webelos colors when they earn the Bobcat. For existing Cubs this would be when the become a Webelos, for new cubs as soon as the earn the Bobcat.

Our council/district doesn't offer Webelos Leader Outdoor Training. Go figure.

I now have the name of the Council training chairman. I am going to write him a letter about some problems and suggestions about the training. I will also include this.

I live within a few miles of another council that does offer all the training courses. I am calling them to see can I attend their training. Their council is much more populated than ours and has more volunteers.

* A new Webelos wearing either the blue or tan shirt would wear the Bobcat badge on the appropriate diamond location on the left shirt pocket until he earned his Webelos Badge.

* Districts and do not have the authority to change training courses.

* The Youth Protection program for adults and leaders was updated in 1999.

* BALOO will still be required to atke a pack camping

* Webelos leader Outdaoor Training has been rewritten and is expevted for relaease shortly.

* Intoduction to Outdoor Leader Training teaches SMs the advancement outdoor skills leading from Tenderfoot to First Class and has no appropriate information for Cub Leaders and has no info about taking Cubs camping.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Bob White,

Thanks for the clarifications. I thought the same thing about the Bobcat badge, just wear it until they earn the Webelos badge.

Our council/district is still using the old Youth Protection Training, doesn't offer Webelos Outdoor Training or BALOO (has not offered it ever). What should I do? As in, who do I go to about this to find out why and encourage them to get up to speed?

I think they expect Webelos Leaders to go to Scoutmaster outdoor training.

Actually sctmom there are some elements of Introduction to Outdoor Leadership that are beneficial to Webelos leaders. Because of that the new Webelos Leader Outdoor Training will run in tandem with Introduction to Outdoor Leadership. They will have overlapping agendas to where some of the progam time will be separate and some will be shared.

As far as where to turn the first place would be the Council Training Chaiperson, then to their manager the Council President. If you do not recieve the training you request at that point drop a casual note to the scout Executive that you are contacting the National office to ask why scout leader training is not provided in your community in accordance with the council's national charter with the BSA. Then sit back and watch the sparks of enthsiasm suddenly appear.

It is unfortunate that your Districts Training Chair is not more responsive. I would like to think your case is an exception and not the rule.

Our district offers over 48 opportunities a year to attend basic training courses and Youth Protection.

Bob White

The feedback that I've been getting about my district's BALOO training has been very negative. They did state during the course, correctly or incorrectly, that BALOO training was not required to take the Pack camping (overnight).

Outdoor Webelos Leader (OWL, NOT WLO - Webelos Leader Outdoor) training was well received. It did not mimic but was very similar to the SM Leader Specific training course. The OWL training was a very condensed version of the SM LS training in my view.(This message has been edited by acco40)